FSQ?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KK5JY, Jan 19, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KK5JY

KK5JY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

While browsing another 'ZedThread, I stumbled across a mention of a new digital mode called FSQ. I have done some reading/watching on the subject, and there appear to be some active users in the US.

Since the current HF conditions aren't the best, I don't want to measure activity solely by a spin of the dial on any particular day. For those of you who are active on this mode, are there regular active groups of people on this mode? I know there are a handful of 40m and 80m frequencies where folks hang out regularly for SSB roundtables, and FSQ sounds like it might be the digital equivalent. If any of you are aware of frequencies that are regularly active, conditions permitting, I would like to focus on those frequencies and times.

I figured I would hang out on one or two of the "call channels" I have found online sometime later this week, so hopefully the conditions will permit me to see some activity.

2. WA7DU

WA7DU Ham Member QRZ Page

Hmmmmm.

Could it have been FSK rather than FSQ ? I've not heard of FSQ. Frequency Shift Keying (FSK) is a mode in which digital data is sent by the transmission of two distinct frequencies, one representing a logic 0 and the other representing logic 1.

When you remove all the bells and whistles, FSK is just a form of plain-old FM.

3. KK5JY

KK5JY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

4. WA7DU

WA7DU Ham Member QRZ Page

I gotta get out more often...

KK5JY likes this.
  5. KK4YWN

KK4YWN Ham Member QRZ Page

Interesting mode. I'll set something up on the 30m call freq tomorrow and maybe give 80m a try in the evening. Thanks for the headsup.

6. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Man, that sounds interesting! I must look into this. Thanks for the information :D

7. KB3MOW

KB3MOW Ham Member QRZ Page

There are usually quite a few people on 7.104 almost any time of day/evening. It works pretty well but is not a great "chat" mode, since you're sharing the frequency with all the other users. Set "Sounding" for 30 minute intervals to let others know you're there.
    73 es GL
    Dave - KB3MOW

8. KB9BVN

KB9BVN Ham Member QRZ Page

I love operating CW on that frequency...and have been for over 20 years....

9. KK4YWN

Fsqcal doesnt know how to key an ic7300. Fldigi doesnt seem to sound.

Its always something with these digital modes.

10. KK4YWN

nm. found the fldigi sounder under Configure -> Modems -> FSQ

so i'm up on 30m not always able to answer, but i'm up/sounding while working.