FSQ

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by KT4NN, Aug 8, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N9DSJ

N9DSJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I run both at times, side by side - little functional performance differences. Depends on the interface choice; FSQCALL is a stand-alone so a lot less overhead. Differing methodology/coding of SNR reports --- mostly seems to be a GUI, familiarity and program size preference.

I rarely operate 20 meters but think most are on 14.104.

Bill N9DSJ

2. N7ZAL

N7ZAL Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks and I downloaded the FSQCALL and it seems to work OK, although no QSOs yet.

14.104 does make sense and I'll tune around there today and see what I can find.

3. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

As far as the dial frequencies, Google is your friend:

Calling Frequencies

Region 1
    80m 3588 kHz USB (sunset to sunrise)
    40m 7044 kHz USB (sunrise to sunset)
    30m 10144 kHz USB (local day, DX night)

Region 2
    80m 3594 kHz USB (sunset to sunrise)
    40m 7104 kHz USB (sunrise to sunset)
    30m 10144 kHz USB (local day, DX night)

Region 3
    80m 3580 kHz USB (sunset to sunrise)
    40m 7105 kHz USB (sunrise to sunset)
    30m 10149 kHz USB (local day, DX night)

There is also a 20m frequency, but I could not quickly find the other list it was on.

I did get it up and running and could see activity on 40m, but I was not able to make any contacts. Need to find someone local to work with on 2m SSB to figure it all out.

4. KQ0J

KQ0J XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have been on a few days now, some things I have learned:

For FSQCALL sw - when you set FSQCALL to ON know that your station may be automatically activated by the SW on commands from other stations to XMIT information
    without your intervention - be aware of that if you are changing antennas etc.

This is not a weak signal mode and there is no forward error correction - use enough power for reliable communication so you will not have to keep asking for
    repeats or sending the same commands over and over because you do not get a response. You will get garbled data on weak transmissions. Its not WSPR or JT9 where
    you work with 2W and expect solid reports.

Normal courtesy like taking long contacts to another frequency is a good idea to free up the calling frequency. +500 or -500 are good places to start.

5. KQ0J

KQ0J XML Subscriber QRZ Page

From what I read the frequency design points / targets were 3 - 10 mHz so that's probably why no 20 M posting.

I am on 30M 10.144 monitoring now if anyone wants to ping me.

6. N7ZAL

N7ZAL Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, the article did mention a preference for 1.8-10 MHZ but I don't have that capability and figured there should be some activity on 20.

It will be interesting to see how this all evolves.

7. K7CWA

K7CWA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You can run FSQ on any frequency where digital is allowed however the published monitor/calling frequencies do not list one on 20 meters, just 30, 40, and 80 meters. If you and your group want to meet somewhere else, you can as you don't want to be in the calling channel anyhow.

8. K7CWA

I am running Fldigi on Linux directly, no wine, and all modes, including FSQ work just fine.

9. K7CWA

I have had scheduled QSOs using FSQ on 20 meters. I use 14.065 but that is arbitrary, it could be anywhere. I am in AZ and had a good solid QSO with a good friend in MI.

10. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Right, but when 1200 baud communications require a 2GHz 64 bit CPU and a 3Gb OS, I completely lose interest.

These kind of things should work beautifully on a homebrew computer.

I suppose I could take a 787 to work instead of my Schwinn, too.