FSQ

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by KT4NN, Aug 8, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KT4NN

KT4NN Ham Member QRZ Page

I tried to used the new mode. Any success?
    KT4NN

2. K7GQ

K7GQ Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't know. Were you successful?

3. K0RGR

K0RGR Ham Member QRZ Page

I downloaded it some time ago, but really haven't tried using it much. I believe there is an article in the upcoming QST which
    may give the mode a push. I also haven't tried it since upgrading to Windows 10.

KT4NN likes this.
  4. N9DSJ

N9DSJ Ham Member QRZ Page

It is an interesting, very casual mode with some interesting/useful features; have not seen any macros so far aside from the canned QTH and QTC entries :)
    Most of the activity is currently on 10.144 MHz. Seems to run fine under Windows 10, btw.

Bill N9DSJ

KT4NN likes this.
  5. K4VLF

K4VLF Ham Member QRZ Page

I want to fire this up shortly. What kind of distances are you all getting?

6. N9DSJ

It is not a weak signal mode so distances worked are in keeping with that; usually ok nightly into EU and VK/ZL from the upper mid west in a very busy and qrm-prone portion of 30 meters.

Think getting more stations on from more diverse locations would make the overall determination more easy.

Bill N9DSJ

7. K4VLF

Well, I have a s/w problem. I can work FSQ mode with fldigi easily. With a USB interface for PTT (COM 10).

But I can not get the FSQ software to recognize COM10. Says it is in-use, I think. Windows says the USB cable is com 10. From a clean reboot I can't get it either. I can get FSQ to connect to COM1. but that is the default rs-232 port, of course.

Maybe I should re-assign 1 to 5 (not used) and then 10 to 1. I will try that later.

Any other ideas? I have fixed this issue many times before with other USB cables, so I think I kinda know what I am doing ...

8. N9DSJ

Are you using COM10 for CAT and/or PTT?

The "busy" flag usually means it is assigned to another app.

What transceiver are you using?

9. K4VLF

"The "busy" flag usually means it is assigned to another app." Agreed

Radio is Kenwood 71A, VHF 2 Meter. Yes, a non-standard usage of the digi modes.

Thanks!

10. K0RGR

K0RGR Ham Member QRZ Page

I installed the latest FLDIGI and tried out FSQ on 30 meters - 10.144. Had a few nice short QSO's. I run an NBEMS net
    on Thursday nights on 80 meters, so I'll have to see if I can get my NBEMS fans to give it a try for a net - it might be
    a great thing. Olivia is a much better weak signal mode, but FSQ is much faster for conversation. I could leave FSQ monitoring our net frequency in SELCAL mode.