FS8Call for Mac connected to FT-991A

Discussion in 'OS: Mac OS' started by KN6BST, Jul 18, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: FBNews-1
  1. KN6BST

KN6BST Ham Member QRZ Page

Has anyone been able to connect their FT-991A to their Mac using the SLAB_USBtoUART drivers? I can't seem to communicate with the radio. Sure, it's possible that I have the wrong settings for the FT-991A, but I've been able to connect the FT-991A to my windows bootcamp copy. Does anyone have any advice? thx.

2. K3DCW

K3DCW QRZ Lifetime Member #212 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

The only specific advice I'd offer is the same that is posted here for every rig with a SILabs chip (all newer Yaesu, Icom, and Kenwoods):

1) Make sure you're using the latest drivers from SILabs. They're available HERE.
    2) Make sure that when you install the drivers, your rig is physically disconnected from the Mac. Not just powered off, but the USB cable completely removed.
    3) Make sure that you have the right port. In most cases, there are two ports created by the SILabs chipset and you need to make sure you've selected the correct one.
    4) If you power off the rig completely (turn off the power supply) or reboot the Mac, your port # will change. So, you'll have to figure out which one it is each time.
    5) Make sure you've given permission for the driver to actually run in the Security and Privacy pane.
    6) Most basic, but make sure that your baud rate in your software matches that of your rig. Check it, don't just assume. Check it again, and maybe one more time. Don't just assume that the default in the software is correct.

There are literally dozens of posts below and a couple recently that deal with SILabs chips and the issues with getting them to work.