Fry's is another casualty.

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KD8OSD, Feb 24, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. KD8OSD

KD8OSD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

2. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I always went to the one in Las Vegas

K0WWX and KA4DPO like this.
  3. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Unfortunately, WAS is the keyword. They have struggled for a LONG time, but CoViD (as well as on-line purchasing from sites like Amazon) has been their death knell. Their parking lots have been EMPTY, and probably more employees at any one time than total number of customers in a whole day. In their "hey-day," (1990's to about 2010) they had a thriving business, but not any more.

NL7W and KA4DPO like this.
  4. KC2RGW

KC2RGW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That's a shame, they were a very cool spot. Not many retailers at scale with test equipment and components on the floor...they may be one of the last. They never got to the Northeast but I always stopped by when out in Vegas.

NL7W likes this.
  5. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

So maybe buying the corporate 747 and little fleet of smaller jets some years back wasn't the greatest idea ;)

Dave
    W7UUU

W9RAC, N0TZU, WQ4G and 7 others like this.
  6. K4PIH

K4PIH Ham Member QRZ Page

I went to the on in Vegas on occasion. Nothing like it up in the Virginia sticks!

KA4DPO likes this.
  7. NG1H

NG1H XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It was dying before COVID.

K7MH and KF5RRF like this.
  8. KC3PBI

KC3PBI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I loved Fry's when I lived in L.A. in the 90s. The Burbank store was my regular.

Where else could you get a bulk roll of kapton tape, real-sugar Pepsi, a 2ch oscilloscope, a chest freezer, a 79ยข hot dog lunch, a Xeon microprocessor, and the latest issue of Cat Fancy* all off the shelf under one roof?

They burned down a fortune killing Circuit City and then staying ahead of Best Buy. Didn't leave them in a good position when Amazon showed up.

I was in the Phoenix AZ store 7/2019, stripped ghost town even then. Surprised they made it into 2020 let alone out.

*Not an actual shopping list

AE9AM, KF5RRF, AG5CK and 1 other person like this.
  9. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't recall ever seeing one of their stores in this area. I have heard of them over the years. We seem to express regret when a local business closes while at the same time engaging in online purchases. Just human nature, I guess. I don't criticize those who want to spend their available funds wisely. Is there a long-term downside? Perhaps.

10. AG6QR

AG6QR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The Sunnyvale Fry's on Kern Ave. was amazing in the early '90s. Oscilloscopes, signal generators, wire wrap gear, lots of components and prototyping supplies, etc. And Jolt Cola!

And it was right across the street from Weird Stuff Warehouse, which sold all kinds of great Silicon Valley surplus stuff at bargain prices. And Ham Radio outlet was a short walk away across the Lawrence Expressway.

My last visit to Fry's was several months B.C. (before covid). I knew at the time it would be my last. They had quit selling the interesting stuff.

KM6YCJ, AH7I and AF6SA like this.