ad: elecraft

Frustrations with CW OPs who can't spell correctly

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by WB0RIO, Nov 18, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-rfparts
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-assoc
  1. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

Interest piqued. Just trying to keep in sync with the thread title. :)

2. KE8EAS

KE8EAS Ham Member QRZ Page

This has been by far the most difficult part of CW for me. I've gotten my speed up to 20 wpm, but oftentimes I struggle spelling even easy words.

I can spell fine on the computer (no spell check!) and with a pen and paper. But when it comes to CW, quickly translating an infrequently used word to dits and dahs can be frustrating and make one look foolish. The struggle is real... But hey, I've only been doing this stuff for less than a year!

And before you ask, going slower does help, but, stumbling over 1 word out of 10 isn't too bad.

3. PU2NIT

PU2NIT Ham Member QRZ Page

I believe good language/spelling equals good manners/good sense, for several reasons.

First of all, because I really believe that ham radio is a hobby of gentle and intelligent people. We study, we pass one or more tests, we spend enough time to learn a new language. So, why can't we use this new language according to the principles of good language?

Second, because our hobby consists on interactions. I can transmit to the world, but if nobody answers, I'd be saving my time, money and energy just talking to myself. I can't interact if other people can't understand what I'm saying.

Ham radio has its own language and codes. Morse has more own expressions, codes, prosigns, etc. I understand if, for the sake of time saving, someone says "U R 5NN". But it is hard to understand if someone says "YO RAE HNN". I know there are better examples of mispelling, but this is what came to my mind.

It gets even worse if this happens in another language other than each one's native tongue. Maybe, a native english speaker would find it easier, but if I received a message containing "THER", I would have to stop communication to see if this is "There", "Their" or "They're".

Communication is a 2 way activity. If we don't help each other for the sake of sportsmanship, we do it because if the guy on the other side gets better, we get better. And this is why I believe correct use of language is SO important.

Of course one or two spelling mistakes happen. All the time! But when it happens to the extent to make comunication harder/impossible, we have a problem.

Best!

Felipe - PU2NIT

KE8EAS likes this.
  4. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Subscriber QRZ Page

Maybe it's not that they can't spell, They just have a bad stutter....

KE8EAS likes this.
  5. KE8EAS

KE8EAS Ham Member QRZ Page

Would a cw stutter be a twitchy trigger finger?

6. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Subscriber QRZ Page

Dunno bout twitchy, Perhaps stubby?

KE8EAS likes this.
  7. M6GYU

M6GYU Ham Member QRZ Page

Particularly such gems as color, flavor, labor. Then of course center, liter & neighbor. I've never gotten it - whoops another one. ;-)

8. K3RW

K3RW Ham Member QRZ Page

I wish people would slow it way down. I thought I was copying a bad speller, um, no it was me copying b Didn't help he was sending 22wpm. The CW reader in Fldigi confirmed I wasn't close.

I'm not quite there yet with my CW skills, but no one is going to slow down for a 8wpm newbie :( Usually I see 18wpm+

KE8EAS likes this.
  9. NK2U

NK2U Ham Member QRZ Page

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Funny, my thoughts exactly!

de NK2U

K3XR likes this.
  10. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

There's lots of us out there that will gladly slow down! About a month ago I had a qso at maybe 5 wpm for ohhh, an hour or so. I used the dash paddle on my bug as a straight key.

If you hear me, gimmee a buzz at your speed and I'll come back at same.

W5BIB, K3RW and AD5KO like this.