Frustrations with CW OPs who can't spell correctly

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by W0RIO, Nov 18, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. W0RIO

W0RIO Ham Member QRZ Page

A few years back, I had a CW QSO with a guy and I was having a terrible time copying what was
    being sent. When I visited his QRZ page, it became obvious what the problem was, the guy's spelling was horrible
    and about every third word was incorrect. I got a good laugh out of that one.

After years of practice, I'm finally getting pretty good at copying CW in my head. That all goes out the
    window when the sender can't spell correctly. Writing it down can help a lot, but misspelling adds a whole
    new dimension to copying through the "noise".

It dawned on me that good spelling is very important in sending good CW.

In the modern age of text messaging, there are lots of new abbreviations being used, that's generally a good thing
    in CW, as long as the abbreviations are fairly obvious. CW operators came up with abbreviating everything waaay
    before texting was invented.

Then, there's the difference between to, too, two and 2, don't get me started...

"They're not getting any smarter" -F. Zappa

2. N7ZAL

N7ZAL Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm blessed with a decent spelling capability, but it does decline with age. :) I can understand poor spelling especially from those without a basic English understanding. People range with all types of abilities and concerns and bad spelling isn't a problem for me. In fact a good CW operator can probably guess what the words are with a few letters.

So, spelling issues don't bother me at all.

3. AG6QR

AG6QR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It seems most misspellings are reasonably phonetic, and those don't bother me much. In fact, misspelling on CW bothers me less than almost anywhere else. That's probably because my receiving is so bad that I will often miss a letter or two of even a perfectly sent message. At my present stage in CW, I'm happy just to get the gist of a message.

While I believe good spelling is important in general, I think that being able to send CW well is about the least important reason why one should improve one's spelling. Being able to send a personal letter or e-mail, or fill out a job application or resumé, or any one of dozens of daily writing tasks are more important for most people. People have differing spelling abilities and linguistic backgrounds for all kinds of reasons, and that's not going to change. If someone is going to improve their spelling, I'd be surprised to find that the motivating factor was a desire to have better CW rag chews.

4. KA2CZU

KA2CZU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

yup havin had dis problim fora wile now, peepul keap "dittin" bak at me... I thinc theyrre stoopid. peepul keep sending CW fer AIUI... I kant make it out, sumtimes think may be they awr sendin L beefor an ID but I dunt no how too ID an L.

KF4SCI and WA7PRC like this.
  5. K8AI

K8AI Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm one of them. I can spell on paper just fine but when I'm sending, I can't visualize the correct spelling of longer words in my head and make lots of spelling errors. I think the other guy can usually figure out what I'm trying to say though.

KD2RON and (deleted member) like this.
  6. N7ZAL

N7ZAL Ham Member QRZ Page

I should add that there are disorders that some people have that affects spelling and they don't have any control over it.

7. W9JEF

W9JEF Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Oprtng cw, splng oftn wsts tm. Wy spl it ot, wn abrvs wl gt te msg tru fstr? U cn rd ths, cnt u?

KU4X, KM4RFI, AD5KO and 3 others like this.
  8. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Both of these comments are spot-on and I agree 100% as a long time CW op myself. I learned decades ago to "glean what you can" and do your best to respond. Bad spelling on CW is nothing new at all, in my 42 years experience - my own many errors over that time in mind.

My advice: cut some slack and just work it out - it's part of the fun of CW :)

Dave
    W7UUU

NK2U, KU4X, KD2RON and 4 others like this.
  9. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

I've never had a problem with it. I've always been good at speling. ;):p:rolleyes:

KU4X, W9JEF, W7UUU and 1 other person like this.
  10. KI5WW

KI5WW Ham Member QRZ Page

I dont think I have ever in my life heard anyone complain about mispelled words while refering to cw. I'm sure not going to start gradding papers. I don't care.

W9JEF, AD5KO, W5TTW and 6 others like this.