Frustrated

Discussion in 'Swapmeet Talk' started by KA4VNM, Apr 25, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KA4VNM

KA4VNM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have either just picked the wrong items to buy or just have bad luck. On two occasions in the last two weeks I have responded to a seller both directly to their QRZ email and on the site and got no response. In one instance another person bought the item well after I had attempted contact the seller. Now I did the same in trying to contact the seller, not once but twice and the site ad no longer shows my postings in my attempt to contact the seller. Very strange.

Any ideas? I understand people get busy and have issues sometimes, but twice in 2 weeks seems a bit strange.

Pat

2. AJ4GQ

AJ4GQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Been down the same road. I've had communication problems with one of the same sellers you did. That poor guy apparently just doesn't respond to emails, is unfamiliar with how to use "Conversation", and seems confused about his listings. I think we just picked the wrong seller. Also, QRZ's new Rules indicate they will remove posts that say things like, "Email sent" or "I'll take it" so we're out of luck trying to get a seller's attention with that.

3. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Such postings are not permitted and will be removed by a Moderator. You have to rely on email or Conversation as AJ4GQ indicates. If you can't get the guy to respond do you really want to do business with him?

4. KA4VNM

My bad for not understanding the rules, but even then I did respond as instructed and still no response, I guess I will wait for a more reliable seller to show up. I actually thought the one would be good since he wanted a phone number and talk to me. I like that from a seller, lets us both know we exist in the same dimension. Thanks for updating me on the rules. My only concern would be that if they ask for an email to be sent, can you not respond that you did so they know or is that verboten? I like rules so I would rather comply but am curious.

5. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Remember too that the seller is under absolutely no obligation to sell to "the first one to reply". He could sell to the 30th person to respond if he chooses. Sometimes it might be proximity ("local pickup with a cash buyer"), might be personal ("Hey Joe! Nice to hear from you! You bet it's not sold and it's yours"), etc. etc.

The "email sent" thing is not permitted because what does "email sent" even mean? "Email sent to ask if you still live in Texas" - "Email sent to ask if you'd consider selling it for a dollar instead of $1000" - "Email sent to ask if you've ever tried using it for a SOTA outing because I'm wanting to do the same" Email Sent can mean practically anything - just email the seller and await a response. Same goes for "PM Sent" - those will get deleted as well - for all the same reasons.

In fact, better than 50% of "email sent" people do NOT end up buying!! I have actually made a point of tracking to some extent - and you'd be surprised.... it very likely is more like 75% of "email sent" posts never are heard from again.

Dave
    W7UUU
    [Moderator]

W3ESE likes this.
  6. KA4VNM

My interpretation is "email sent" means that the seller requested an email be sent via his/her QRZ address and I am letting them know to watch for one and look in the SPAM folder for it if they didn't receive it. Does that make sense? Other than that I will do as instructed. You folks do a great job so as my daddy used to say, "it is what it is." Thanks for the reply and explanations.

KB2SUJ likes this.
  7. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I get it - totally. But the rule (and it's actually stated in the rules this way - see below) is designed to keep the SELLER in mind. If someone just posts "email sent", the next potential buyer sees that and figures the "email sent" guy will be the winner and will move away. But in fact the "email sent" guy was just asking some mundane question with no intent of buying, the seller has now lost out.

I hope that makes it even more clear why the "email sent" ("PM sent", "I sent you a message", etc.) rule is in place.

Actual text of rule pasted below in red

Dave
    W7UUU
    [Moderator]

5.0 - Buyer / Shopper Policies
    1. No Discussions - The swapmeet is not to be used for free form discussion on any topic. Moderators will delete certain types of buyer/shopper responses as needed. In particular:
      1. Price Police - under no circumstance may any user post a comment on a listing's price. A seller has complete freedom to charge whatever price he likes, and to accept the consequences of getting it wrong.
      2. General Commentary - this is not a discussion group. All buyer/shopper commentary must be directed to the seller, and must be a question about the item being offered.
      3. EMAIL SENT (PM sent, Message Sent, etc.) replies - believe it or not, such replies have been deemed unfair to sellers. If you have sent an email or PM, then wait for a response. Also note that "email sent" isn't a question. Remember, if it isn't a question, then its commentary.

W3ESE likes this.
  8. KC9ONY

KC9ONY Ham Member QRZ Page

I sent an e-mail to an ad that had been posted 5 minutes earlier. Didn't hear anything,
    but figured I'd probably be first. Days later, I got a reply that my e-mail had shown
    up in his spam folder.

My pet peeve is the ads that don't have any contact information. Go to their QRZ profile,
    and no e-mail listed. Just have to assume that they read or know how to use PM.
    Unless I really think I'd like the item, I avoid those ads.

9. N1VAU

N1VAU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

To each his own.

Our hobby name starts with the word "Amateur" and many of the for sale posts reflect the true sense of that word.

As passionate and serious as some of us are about this hobby there are many who are "hobbists".

Don't expect professional results from hobbists, you'll just get frustrated.