Frustrated with accuracy of Repeater Book

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by N1RVN, Jul 5, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
  1. N1RVN

N1RVN Ham Member QRZ Page

Anyone else thinks the repeater lists are mostly useless?

Just purchased my Icom ID-5100 and was full of joy at the thought of finally having a way to automate the process: download the repeater list, load it via the RT Systems software and be done!

Except... it's all wrong. Well, not all... but so many mistakes. Repeaters I know for 15 years appear with the wrong input frequency offset. Others listed as using tone & squelch are using tone but not transmitting it. Repeaters I know for a fact that don't exist anymore, still listed as active. Repeaters listed as FM are now some flavor of digital...

Do you find RFinder more accurate? My understanding is that RFinder stole all the data from Repeaterbook, so it's likely all the same flawed info - or did they sanitize it?

What about Radio Reference? Any better? Worth paying for it?

What's your experience? Is it the same all over the country, or is there some curse over Georgia?

Thanks,

K3RW likes this.
  2. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

I condense my list from several sources, but if there is a discrepancy between lists, I do a bit more research. After that, I drop them in my radio, then flag the duds as I find them. Not perfect but better than trusting one list. Keep in mind some of these sources rely on user input to keep data up-to-date.

We have a number of repeaters throughout the state that only exist on paper, for one reason or another. Out of service, repeater owner is SK, etc... Since there is a large waiting list for repeater pairs, it would be nice if the coordinating body would tell them to fire it up, or give it up.

K5BBC likes this.
  3. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

None of the repeater books, including that published by the ARRL, are that accurate. Even the Internet sites that have repeater information are anywhere near up to date.

All of the sources depend upon information being submitted by the repeater owner, by some coordination committee, or by users and then changes to that information also have to be submitted by various persons. Unfortunately, once a repeater gets listed, virtually no one ever supplies any information on changes, etc.

It has been my experience that http://www.artscipub.com/ is the most accurate, and up to date, source of information and even that site definitely has incorrect information where a number of repeaters are concerned. Again, information has to be provided and no one bothers to get corrected information to those who keep the site up to date.

Glen, K9STH

4. K6CPO

K6CPO Ham Member QRZ Page

It's not just repeaters. I have the same issues in attempting to deliver periodic newsletter issues to a group of over 700 museum members. Some opt for mail delivery of a hard copy and others opt for email delivery of a pdf. In either case, members never advise us of changes to email or mailing addresses, then they bitch when they don't receive the newsletter for several months.

5. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

Even if you get a good set of data, with good repeaters and load it.... that don't mean that you'll ever speak to someone on any of them. There are LOTS of repeaters around here with zero activity.

Knowing which repeaters are ACTIVE is a whole nuther thing, if there are any. We have more activity on simplex than any repeaters in this area.

6. K0BG

K0BG Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

And what do you do once you're able to break squelch?

I can't, and won't, address or banter the 2M issue. But if I had to describe it, in just one word, that work would be... Shameful!

7. N1RVN

N1RVN Ham Member QRZ Page

What's the 2M issue?

What am I missing in the above post?

K3RW likes this.
  8. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

CPO:

Way too many people seem to think that all of their information is automatically updated without any effort on their part!

I publish a Civil War themed newsletter that is distributed by E-Mail. Almost every month, I get at least 1 notification the the E-Mail address is no good!

Glen, K9STH

9. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

Ha! At least you have spreadsheets and databases to keep track of everyone's e-mail address. Think how hard it would have been to keep track of e-mail address during the Civil War!

10. K3RW

K3RW Ham Member QRZ Page

I came across one of the repeater list sites and it wanted me to SUBSCRIBE?!

Um, if it still says there's a 10m FM repeater in Portland OR, I'd not waste any money on it. I'm guessing the 'subscription' is equated to accurate info, am I right? :rolleyes:

I suppose a 'better' way would be to go to the local repeater coordination group, download their current list of coordinated repeaters, and hope that is at least most of the ones in your area.

Like this one (truncated since you get the idea). At least this shows pairs in OR and WA, since I'm just a river from OR. It doesn't show further away ones like the OR coast--that's a different group with their own list. I suppose a true repeater directory would include only these, and forget Jimbob's repeater in his shack.

From http://www.orrc.org/home.aspx

To get coordinated pairs it was here:

http://www.orrc.org/PublishedCoord.aspx?Type=0

(the coordinated pairs link might not work since it was a 'search' that I copied the page URL, but you get the idea)

Here's when you search the coordinated pairs, what you get (I couldn't figure out how to get a screenshot so I copied it over):

**** ORRC Published Coordinations ****
    The following is a list of the frequencies coordinated by the ORRC and published in the ARRL directory. You may sort the records by clicking on any table column that is underlined to sort the records by the values in that column.

Select the range of records to view :
    All Select Tx Range

Tx Freq Rx Freq Nearest City RPT Call Sign Contact Sponsor ARRL Region ARRL Code
    29.6800 29.5800 Portland KR7IS KR7IS KR7IS PORTLAND METRO oet(162.2)
    52.8300 51.1300 Newberg KR7IS KR7IS WORC PORTLAND METRO oetl(107.2)
    52.8500 51.1500 Timber KR7IS KR7IS KR7IS NW Oregon & SW Washington ot(107.2)E-SUNL
    52.9100 51.2100 Sweet Home KG7BZ KG7BZ KG7BZ Central Willamette Valley o
    52.9500 51.2500 Yacolt W7AIA AI9Q W7AIA SW Washington ote
    52.9700 51.2700 Timberline Lodge WB7DZG KR7IS WORC State Wide, Oregon oet(107.2) wx
    52.9900 51.2900 Salem WA7ABU WA7ABU WA7ABU CENTRAL WILLAMETTE VALLEY ot(100.0)
    53.0300 51.3300 Eugene/Monroe W7ARD W7ARD W7ARD NW OREGON & SW WASHINGTON ot(100.0)
    53.0700 51.3700 Oakridge W7ARD W7ARD W7ARD CENTRAL WILLAMETTE VALLEY oet(100.0)
    53.0900 51.3900 Portland N7NLL N7NLL N7NLL PORTLAND METRO oet(107.2)
    53.1300 51.4300 Vancouver WA KB7APU KB7APU KB7APU PORTLAND METRO oet(107.2)
    53.1300 51.4300 Vancouver WA KB7APU KB7APU KB7APU SW Washington oet(107.2)

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018