"Frustrated" New Ham KF5AKN was lied to

Discussion in 'Becoming an Amateur Radio Operator/Upgrading Privi' started by WA4D, Apr 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. KB3LAZ

KB3LAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

This statement has nothing to do with this specific board and is only the promotion of a bitter old man. It is helpful in no way and should be put to bed. Where is the elmering intent that is to be projected?

I noticed that this board does not specify a mod or mods like the others do, maybe it should.

2. K2QI

K2QI Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree. What was the purpose of the original post, if not to denigrate and belittle a new operator? Because that's what it looks like. If I on the other hand missed the OP's intent, then I apologize. :rolleyes:

3. AI3V

AI3V Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't think he is belittling the new guy at all.

About 1/2 the posts on this website are from new operators who have been sold a "Bill of goods"- Amateur Radio has a very large group of people who view it as a moneymaking opportunity, From the memorize the test study guides, to the major equipment suppliers, the folks selling $500 crap wire antennas, The endless stream of "Must Have :rolleyes:" accessories.

The Novice (as in new, not license class), Reads the ads, Spends Thousands of $$, and then finds out that a 6 ft whip clamped to a balcony rail makes a poor 160M antenna, and the antenna might work "Next year" on 10M when the sunspots return.(IF he buys ANOTHER $100 gizmo)

He was told that he would be able to communicate with his friend 300 miles away, anytime, day or nite, and doesn't have the technical know-how to understand he was lied to.- Here OM, Buy THIS doohickey, Yeah, that's the ticket,THIS doohickey:mad:

Or finally figures out - quite by accident - how to get a signal out, and gets the cookiecutter QSO- Name/qth/RIG/wx/73cul.

Amateur Radio always has been a bifurcated hobby, On one hand the guys building Moonbounce stations out of discarded junk. The other hand is the fellows with deep pockets, for whom the latest top of the line appliance is no financial burden.

Somewhere in between are most of us, for whom a Rig is a major chunk-o-change.

And we are not doing a very good job at accurately describing the hobby to the newbies.

MY .02 FRN

Rege

4. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

Let me get this straight. The guy's been a ham for less than 20 days and he has all these strong feelings? And a Technician no less? And your solution is to post on QRZ.COM and not help him? Freekin' amazing... I'd be glad to talk to him and do what you're too lazy to do. PM me with his phone number.

The moderator needs to move this to the Opinions Forum. Doesn't belong here.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2009
  5. N8YX

N8YX Ham Member QRZ Page

Nail head, meet hammer.

6. K1POO

K1POO Ham Member QRZ Page

KY5U - thanks for that last post. ;)

BTW - you have the MOST spic-n-span shack that I have EVER seen! My wife stated that if my shack looks like yours from the pics on your web site, she will have no problems letting my radio hobby grow!

John
    KF5AKN

7. KB3LAZ

KB3LAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I concur...

8. K2QI

K2QI Ham Member QRZ Page

BTW, to KF5AKN. Install Echolink on your PC. Look up WB2HWW-R in 2 land. Connect. Bunch of us NYC guys would be more than happy to talk to you.

9. N8YX

N8YX Ham Member QRZ Page

John,

It's often been said that those with overly tidy shacks don't really enjoy the hobby ... ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.