ad: ProAudio-1

"Frustrated" New Ham KF5AKN was lied to

Discussion in 'Becoming an Amateur Radio Operator/Upgrading Privi' started by WA4D, Apr 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. WA4D

WA4D Ham Member QRZ Page

KF5AKN a "new" ham" is "frustrated" with his new hobby.

Apparently he believed all the lies and myths about amateur radio propagated by various groups and individuals. Ham radio is not a place where vibrant,intellectually stimulating discourse takes place. Poor conversationalists are the norm and the most meaningless drivel is widespread. Even the CEO of the ARRL K1ZZ recognizes how pathetic most ham radio exchanges are. (See June 2008 QST Editorial, "Can we talk?" )

KF5AKN expects people to answer him on his local repeater. VHF/UHF Repeaters are "dark" all over the nation. It is a vast wasteland of spectrum.

So KF5AKN and other "frustrated" hams....don't believe what you are told by long time hams....."Listen" to the bands before you invest in radios. The meaningless lives that many active hams lead are on display for all to see.

Show me an "active" ham and I'll show you someone who doesn't read books. If he has a job and family, I'll show you a poor parent and spouse.

KF5AKN.....and other "new" hams should look at Ham radio's reality. And discard the propaganda put forth by Newington and the old guard.

What you "hear" is what you get. This is what ham radio has been for decades. You won't change it.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2009
  2. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

One truth not mentioned here;

You will get out of the hobby exactly what you put into it.

If you are impatient you will be disappointed.

If you go into the hobby expecting people to be any better or worse than you; you will also be disappointed.

If you expect to get DXCC in a year during the sunspot minimum living on a lot with ah HOA and an antenna restriction;
    Ether get a now hobby or
    get a new home where you can put up antennas.

Most of all Look before you leap.

3. WS2L

WS2L Guest

""Apparently he believed all the lies and myths about amateur radio propagated by various groups and individuals.""

What individual(s) lied to him ?

What lies were told to him ?

In the initial post all I see is what KF5AKN expects !

What has KF5AKN done to benefit from the hobby ?

You either like ham radio or you don't. I have been licensed since 1978 so I have been through a few solar cycles. I loved the peaks and made the best of the low end of the cycle. I can get on the club repeater I belong to and not be answered by anyone and these are people I am friends with. Maybe he should try different modes, I did several months ago. I purchased a RigBlaster and now I am hooked on PSK31 and I find there is adequate action on the bands to keep me happy. That is the great thing about this hobby, there is usually some mode of operating for just about everyone.

4. KB8NHL

KB8NHL Ham Member QRZ Page

I find CW'ers to be pretty friendly, especially QRP'ers.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2009
  5. KB9BVN

KB9BVN Ham Member QRZ Page

I hope I don't understand your point. After reading this the first time, I was pretty sure it was the most retarded thing I have read in a long time. Who made you the Grand Scrutinizer?

6. KB9BVN

KB9BVN Ham Member QRZ Page

Without a doubt, the best QSO's and most interesting conversations that I have had on the air, in twenty two years, has been CW or QRP CW. I think on phone it is just too easy to open mouth and insert foot. With CW (unless you're doing it with a computer) you have to expend some considerable effort to not only say something, but to hear something as well.

I've heard tales of 75m phone that sound just terrible to me, so I don't go there. I prefer ragchewing on 20m, 30m or 40m CW.

7. KB8NHL

KB8NHL Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe he's projecting?

8. KC4GFW

KC4GFW Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree when I owned a 2 meter radio I expected this too with almost 800 hams in the county I live in. Not a single response. That's when I sold my VHF/UHF radio. That was about 20 years ago, and haven't owned one since.

All the action is on HF. Maybe he should consider upgrading or buy a HF radio and use 80, 40, 15 CW or 10 meters.. VHF/UHF repeaters are a vast wasteland of unused spectrum.

9. VE3PP

VE3PP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have been around ham radio since 1992. I really never got into chasing DX. I guess that is partly due to not having the best antennas. But I have worked enough to satisfy my needs.

Shortly after I got on HF I become involved in the Geratol Net. That allowed me to get a WAS on 75 phone. That was fun and I made some good friends on that net. Still chat with some of them on the pre net.

Lately I have been doing a lot of PSK and Olivia. I have had some great QSO's using Olivia. Some stretch out for an hour or more. Those occur on 80 and 50 meters.

Ham Radio is what you make it. When I was first licensed I only had VHF privileges and a 2 meter mobile used as a base radio. I had various beams up and was able to access repeaters within a 100 mile radius. I made a lot of good friends during the time I was limited to that band. Again, it is what you make it.

I still use VHF/UHF to chat with local hams. But most of my amateur radio time is spent on 80 or 40 digital. I just like using those modes now.

Do whatever you want in the hobby. Find something you like doing and do it. Whether it be QRP CW, digital, ARES, etc. Sooner or later you find something you will enjoy.

10. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't see anything in the fellow's post dismissing the quality of conversation on the ham bands. He is complaining about the quantity of activity there, and rightfully so.

Yes, we did tell him he could 'work the world'. Somebody sold him an HT to do it.

Then, he found that there was nobody on the local repeaters, at least when he wanted to use them.

This scene has been duplicated thousands of times. I think many more drop out after a taste of the Technician privileges than upgrade to General or higher.

If your point was that he should study hard and upgrade, he already said that was his intention.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.