ad: RadioQSL-1

FRS and GMRS

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K3SAM, Nov 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KRD5213

KRD5213 QRZ Member

hello this a great topic . I found this web site last nite
    www.popular wireless.com It is a mix of frs,gmrs and cb.alot of links to meny related subjects.I have been looking for information on this same radios . I have new in the box Geotek radio that is gmrs /murs. from the mid 70's it uses frequency hopping mulitble access digital
    technology. cellphone,gps,scaner,pager ,two way radio,and packet radio [laptop port ] . I wonder if I can
    use this gear now in America ? In the U.K. it is still in use .Dose any one have one or insite on how to find out?
    and hope to get my ham ticket soon. thanks Doug KRD5213

2. KD4AMG

KD4AMG Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG] why require a licence for a unit that can not qualify for a DX station, can not be heard 5 miles from point A, but apparently some TRUCKERS have discovered it for their BEAR reports, since they are usually MEETING each other and say " looking good back to (x).." or "there is a bear at the CHEVRON station about 3 miles behind me "...sure would help clear up 27.185... then try to eliminate the ADVERTISING stations on that frequency...cadillac bob want ing all to go to channel 10 or 31, some one advertising alcohol and tequila, and another telling what exit to turn off of to " get radios peaked and tuned "....no need for a licence for those type of communications, too much hassle, the transmitter wont get out 5 miles, and it just aint worth the effort.....kd4amg

3. KC9CNN

KC9CNN Ham Member QRZ Page

KD4AMG: I find it hard to figure out what you are trying to say through your paragraph of incoherency. Nevertheless, GMRS users are allowed to use up to 50 watts rather than 4 watts on CB. The power on GMRS will almost always allow for longer distances achieved than on CB. Plus, GMRS users are allowed to use repeaters. GMRS also uses UHF frequencies and is a fairly uncrowded band. For these reasons, GMRS is a superior band and should not loose its license requirement. People who have invested in expensive GMRS equipment would be upset if their band was overtaken by rowdy truckdrivers with southern accents.

4. KD4AMG

[​IMG] first of all..re-read my earlier post, does the letters G M R S appear any where in the entire paragraph ? No madam it does NOT. Just the facts...All can read it to their hearts content, at NO point in my entire paragraph does the letters G M R S appear. Check for your self, or have some one READ it to you. Thank you for allowing all to see what you did NOT see....GOD bless the U S A... [​IMG] k d 4 a m g

5. KC9CNN

KC9CNN Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, everyone is talking about FRS & GMRS on this thread.  The topic even says so.  I agree with you that CB should not require a license.  I guess I understand what you are trying to convey now.  73.

6. KD4AMG

to CNN station...I did not specify FRS either in the earlier statement, so I can understand YOUR confusion...I did NOT mean to offend you or any one else about G M R S, but I DID neglect to type the words FRS in the earlier post [​IMG] ....if we agree to disagree I know at least that I have to worry about getting whacked by a golf club, and that the "whacker " will be a 15-year -old...lol... this forum is more fun than trying to operate a field day station ....my humor is not easy to spot, but it DOES exist.... kd4amg [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.