ad: MyersEng-1

FROM TECHNICIAN TO EXTRA IN 2 MONTHS!

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by KE8OOV, Aug 19, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. KE8OOV

KE8OOV Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello fellow amateurs and amateurs to be! I'm posting this to encourage those of you who are upgrading or looking forward to getting an amateur license. On June 13th, I passed the Technician exam. After passing the Technician exam, I decided that I wanted to go all the way so that I could have all of the privileges of the license. On July 11th, I passed the General license. I then started to study for the Extra license. It was a lot harder, so for the last two weeks before taking the exam, I turned the TV off and bucked down. First I studied each section, 1 thru 10 with a $4 app that not only had the questions and answers, but an explanation of the answers. Then I took the sections exams on QRZ.COM. IT'S FREE! Once I was consistently getting 80 and above on the section exams, I started taking the practice exams...the 50 question exams. When I was getting in the high 80's and above consistently, I knew that I was ready to take the Extra exam. I took the Extra exam on August 15th and passed with a 92.
    I learned in the Marines, and in college afterwards, that you don't try to learn everything before taking the exams. If you try to do that, you will never pass the exam. Most of it is like, "ON THE JOB TRAINING". In other words, you'll learn what it means after you pass the exam.
    One guy asked me, "Yea, but do you know your stuff?" I politely let him know that...you won't know most of it until you start doing it. I also told him that he should congratulate the person and not criticize.
    Everyone will have their own method of studying for the exam/exams, but this is what worked for me.
    Stay safe everyone!

AA5BK, W0PV, M1WML and 8 others like this.
  2. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Congrats but that is far from a unique experience these days. Enjoy the hobby.

In the bad old days many did it at one sitting at a FCC office, PLUS the 20 wpm code test.

M1WML, KO2Q and WQ4G like this.
  3. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Great Job/ now the QRZ Bunch wants to work you on the air as soon as you can get on. Just let us all know and we'll try to work you.

My XYL went from novice to Extra in 2 months 5, 13 & 20 wpm code too! Back in the 1980s

M1WML likes this.
  4. WQ4G

WQ4G Ham Member QRZ Page

Congratulations on getting your ticket and I hope to work you OTA some day...

That's quite an accomplishment to go from Tech to Extra in a couple of months. 30 years ago there was a 20 WPM Morse Code test for Extra Class and the question pool was not published. So there was no way, without a lot of effort, to know what was on the test until it was in front of you. AND, the test was (with some exceptions) only administered at the FCC Field Offices. Much more intimidating to say the least and for some operators achieving Extra took years instead months.

But, that's still quite an accomplishment in this day and time... Now, (IMO) time to exhibit the exemplary operating skills and techniques commensurate with the Extra Amateur License.

Congratulations...

Dan WQ4G

M1WML likes this.
  5. K8BZ

K8BZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Great job and welcome to the hobby. Now you have the rest of your life to explore the unlimited possibilities of the hobby and not be distracted by upgrades. You are very correct when you said it's like on the job training. Ham radio experience starts out like a small hill, but can become a giant mountain that never has to stop growing with time. Can't wait to have my first of many QSOs with you. 73

M1WML and K4MID like this.
  6. G0WYD

G0WYD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Well done sir,

Look forward to catching you from this side of the pond, you have worked had to get it and thats that :) , we have so many tests levels on how to get your ticket here in the uk, it almost seems you may be able to buy your ticket and a call sign of your choice and making on line soon, but hay ho ! That’s the way of the world of ham radio in the UK if you want something over here you just stamp your feet and sulk,

It seems that ofcom the controllers of all things ham radio here just don’t have a clue and as for caring for the hobby.......... they would come last in a race every time with regards to ham radio in the UK.

Well done, and as has been said to me in the past when in the USA, THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE, from one ex serviceman to another,

Bob. G0WYD

Last edited: Sep 6, 2020
    M1WML likes this.
  7. W1TRY

W1TRY Ham Member QRZ Page

Congratulations Kevin, well done! Hope to hear you on the air.
    Stay safe and 73.

M1WML likes this.
  8. N6IQ

N6IQ Ham Member QRZ Page

WELL DONE. Now is the time to Elmer others just starting out.

M1WML likes this.
  9. N1VAU

N1VAU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank you for your service!

I like your style and I totally agree that the real learning happens after we pass the exam.

Going from "0" to "Extra" that quick is admirable. Congratulations!

Happy to have you in this hobby and hope to hear you on the air soon.

M1WML likes this.
  10. KD4MOJ

KD4MOJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

We need a Worked All Two Month Extra Award! :D

Seriously, congrats Kevin! Only took me 28 years to upgrade to extra!

...DOUG
    KD4MOJ

M1WML and WQ4G like this.
  11. NK8I

NK8I Ham Member QRZ Page

Congrats, Kevin...I did similar. After passing General, I will still in "study mode" and even hungrier to learn more. I knew if I went back to the regular routine, I'd procrastinate and put off studying for extra for a long time.

AD7SK and M1WML like this.
  12. K1LKP

K1LKP Ham Member QRZ Page

KEVIN,

SEMPER FI ..........BRAVO..........

Hats_off JPEG VERSION.jpg

73 & HAVE LOTS OF FUN IN THE WONDERFUL
    WORLD OF HAM RADIO.

M1WML likes this.
  13. G5WCW

G5WCW Ham Member QRZ Page

Amateur radio is like riding a bike, You fall off a few times in the early days, But once you learn how you won't forget the basics.

You pass the test & then start learning to be a good operator.

M1WML likes this.
  14. WD5GWY

WD5GWY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm envious! I went from Novice to Extra in 47 years!!
    Well done!
    James
    WD5GWY

AD7SK and M1WML like this.
  15. WB2PMC

WB2PMC Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually, I remember in the old days you had to be a conditional, general or advanced (grandfathered) for like two or three years before you could get an Extra. No additional privileges either-until the end of 68 (I think it was) when the incentive licensing debacle was instituted.

M1WML likes this.