ad: elecraft

FROM TECHNICIAN TO EXTRA IN 2 MONTHS!

Discussion in 'Becoming an Amateur Radio Operator/Upgrading Privi' started by KE8OOV, Aug 19, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. AG5CK

AG5CK Ham Member QRZ Page

I think you asked me how I would deal with a high swr / low impedance antenna without buying a tuner not too long ago. That seems like a tech level question to me. ;)

2. KD5PME

KD5PME Ham Member QRZ Page

Congrats.
    BTW, believe it or not, that is how many new pilots get their licenses. My test pilot told me, after I passed, that now I had a license
    to learn.

3. KG4OPX

KG4OPX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well I am a person who cannot memorize much. I learn by actually doing something over and over again. I have been trying to study for the Extra since 2010. Buying the books year after year.

I have been employed in the IT field for over 44 years. I know data protocols, data modes, infrastructure network wiring, Cisco routers, switches, firewalls, proxy servers, and firewalls.

I cannot remember the purpose of the different diodes and transistors. I fail on the deep electrical principles and schematic diagrams. Forget the Smith charts.

I keep telling my wife I am dumber than I look. I know my limitations.

I will not be one of those Extras that other hams complain about.

Rob

4. GNUUSER

GNUUSER QRZ Member

from the point of a longtime electrician and electronics tech. You can learn to memorize easily but if you dont know the how and why then you must take the time to learn.
    how many people have learned or have yet to learn the primary force they are manipulating in every aspect of electronics is simply magnetism!
    manipulating the effects of magnetism by adjusting, resisting, amplifying electrical current, manipulating frequency. all of it affects magnetism.
    what after all is a broadcast signal?
    quite simply an electro-magnetic wave, what is the broadcast pattern from an antenna? again an electro-magnetic wave
    how does a receiving antenna work? By the induced energy in the antenna from a electro-magnetic wave.

congratulations on passing your tests and as many others have said
    Now the real learning begins! Just be happy there are others out there who will help you learn and ignore those who shoot you down for what you have accomplished.

i myself have to find time to even be able to get a test such is how busy my life is. But I hope to be able to get a test soon!
    but over the past year i have seen the birth of my first grandchild, attended the wedding of my oldest son and his bride, have been elected to an officers position in the fire dept., major renovation of my home, surgery for a pacemaker, and more.
    But I have built 4 working radios so far built and tested 25 antennas (all working good) so its been a learning experience for me as well

5. W6RGS

W6RGS Ham Member QRZ Page

"Back in the day" one had to have 2 years of experience in the lower levels before you could apply for the Extra. Times are different.

6. N9UO

N9UO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Congrats! Hope to catch ya on the air some time!

7. N7WR

N7WR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Congrats---a far cry from 63 years ago when I got my Novice and then proceeded (theory and 20WPM CW) up through the license classes. But it is all good. Have fun

8. 1NUXG33K

1NUXG33K QRZ Member

Nice job!! Definitely inspirational. I take the Technicians exam in a couple of weeks.