FROM TECHNICIAN TO EXTRA IN 2 MONTHS!

Discussion in 'Becoming an Amateur Radio Operator/Upgrading Privi' started by KE8OOV, Aug 19, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
ad: HRDLLC-2
  1. AG5CK

AG5CK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I think you asked me how I would deal with a high swr / low impedance antenna without buying a tuner not too long ago. That seems like a tech level question to me. ;)

2. KD5PME

KD5PME Ham Member QRZ Page

Congrats.
    BTW, believe it or not, that is how many new pilots get their licenses. My test pilot told me, after I passed, that now I had a license
    to learn.

K4GTE and KO4ESA like this.
  3. KG4OPX

KG4OPX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well I am a person who cannot memorize much. I learn by actually doing something over and over again. I have been trying to study for the Extra since 2010. Buying the books year after year.

I have been employed in the IT field for over 44 years. I know data protocols, data modes, infrastructure network wiring, Cisco routers, switches, firewalls, proxy servers, and firewalls.

I cannot remember the purpose of the different diodes and transistors. I fail on the deep electrical principles and schematic diagrams. Forget the Smith charts.

I keep telling my wife I am dumber than I look. I know my limitations.

I will not be one of those Extras that other hams complain about.

Rob

K4GTE and KO4ESA like this.
  4. KC3TEC

KC3TEC Ham Member QRZ Page

from the point of a longtime electrician and electronics tech. You can learn to memorize easily but if you dont know the how and why then you must take the time to learn.
    how many people have learned or have yet to learn the primary force they are manipulating in every aspect of electronics is simply magnetism!
    manipulating the effects of magnetism by adjusting, resisting, amplifying electrical current, manipulating frequency. all of it affects magnetism.
    what after all is a broadcast signal?
    quite simply an electro-magnetic wave, what is the broadcast pattern from an antenna? again an electro-magnetic wave
    how does a receiving antenna work? By the induced energy in the antenna from a electro-magnetic wave.

congratulations on passing your tests and as many others have said
    Now the real learning begins! Just be happy there are others out there who will help you learn and ignore those who shoot you down for what you have accomplished.

i myself have to find time to even be able to get a test such is how busy my life is. But I hope to be able to get a test soon!
    but over the past year i have seen the birth of my first grandchild, attended the wedding of my oldest son and his bride, have been elected to an officers position in the fire dept., major renovation of my home, surgery for a pacemaker, and more.
    But I have built 4 working radios so far built and tested 25 antennas (all working good) so its been a learning experience for me as well

KO4ESA likes this.
  5. W6RGS

W6RGS Ham Member QRZ Page

"Back in the day" one had to have 2 years of experience in the lower levels before you could apply for the Extra. Times are different.

K0UO and KO4ESA like this.
  6. N9UO

N9UO Ham Member QRZ Page

Congrats! Hope to catch ya on the air some time!

KO4ESA likes this.
  7. N7WR

N7WR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Congrats---a far cry from 63 years ago when I got my Novice and then proceeded (theory and 20WPM CW) up through the license classes. But it is all good. Have fun

K0UO and KO4ESA like this.
  8. 1NUXG33K

1NUXG33K QRZ Member

Nice job!! Definitely inspirational. I take the Technicians exam in a couple of weeks.

KO4ESA likes this.
  9. KO4ESA

KO4ESA Ham Member QRZ Page

Excellent. Congratulations on the completion of your Extra class license.

10. W3TKB

W3TKB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Although I understand the point this ham is trying to make, I think the analogies are way off mark. In order to get a driver's license, you not only have to pass a written test but ALSO a hands-on proficiency (ie, driving) test. Pretty much the same for becoming a doctor...haven't you ever heard of a doctor doing a residency? If all that was required to get either of those licenses was pass a written exam based solely on knowledge alone, then the comparisons might be comparable.

Instead of chastising the OP for passing all his tests so quickly based on memorization alone, why not blame the system? After all, they say right on the licensing exam requirements page that if you pass the Technician Class test you can immediately take the General, and if you pass that you can then proceed to the Extra test. Theoretically you can take all three test in one sitting and go from zero to Extra in one day. It's not the OP's fault for taking advantage of this system. There's no CW proficiency test like there was in days gone by, nor (as mentioned by another) is there any time limit you must observe between levels. In fact, NOTHING has to be demonstrated other than the ability to pick the correct answer from four choices. Even if you guess you have a 25% chance of getting it right...I know games in Vegas that have a lower success rate than that.

And what about the plethora of books available, written by other ham's, teaching how to pass these tests with minimal effort? One such line of books actually uses the phrase "...the E-Z way..." in the titles. Sounds like there's a bunch of hams out there that don't care if newbies actually know their s**t or not, just as long as they're able to make a buck or two off them. Maybe you should be mad at THEM for perpetuating the memorization-only environment we now exist in?

It is what it is. Either accept it, do something to actually change it, or shut up. Reminiscing about the good 'ole days, waving your banner and crying that we need to "make ham radio great again"isn't doing anybody any good.

Brando

K4GTE and N0NC like this.