From 30 marginal to 50 wpm??

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by K5TSK, May 7, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
  1. W2OZB

W2OZB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

K5TSK likes this.
  2. K5TSK

K5TSK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Myself included. The last two years, I've been fairly active on CW, but that was checking into CW nets and a lot of time learning how to send on my three comparatively new bugs with either hand, plus the sideswiper, or my now one straight key. My constant objective was not only to be able to complete the required exchanges on SKCC qsos, but to send as cleanly on each machine as possible. It's extremely difficult to line up left, right, bugs, cootie, a SK and be able to send perfectly clean code as you go from one to the other. I have on occasion when I was feeling the competentcy of the other op, alternated words in the qso with alternate hands on two bugs strapped at the wires. The code was not perfect, but on every occasion the operator could copy.
    That's not normal CW, and there is normally no need to do it, but it's a personal pleasure knowing that I can.
    Now, having accomplished to some small degree the use of those keys, I want to go back to an iambic paddle and see what my limits are on that. There won't be any certificates, awards for that. The paddle I use will be passed on to a grandchild. One could argue that there simply is no need for CW period. We have microphones, computers, networks. I love CW and I want to be a good operator. I want to send clean and fast code. Going to see what this old brain will do and what these stiffening fingers can produce on a really fine paddle.
    I can't say I've heard your call on the bands. The bands haven't been much lately, but I hope to catch you one of these days on CW and we can chat for a bit.
    Jim

3. K5TSK

4. KE6EE

KE6EE Ham Member QRZ Page

Many, if not most, high speed ops prefer single lever paddles. Of course an iambic paddle can be used
    without squeezing which should accomplish the same amount of sending error reduction.

I am becoming aware of other (than my own) CW interest groups. High speedsters. Ambidextrous buggers.
    Not of special interest to me.

There are many other things to seek in life. CW is a charming, historically-
    significant culture and technology, but I am quite aware of its limits for conversational purposes.

For an entry into historical aspects of radiotelegraphy, I suggest www.radiomarine.org .

5. K5TSK

Yessir, you are right. There are also many different facets to the hobby that both of us enjoy. Only been relicensed a little over 3 years now. I've done a little ssb, mostly on traffic nets, tried a little digital, then a desire to just stay on cw. Even on cw, it's amazing the difference between 7.055 and 7.030 or on down. I'm finding it pays to spin the dial a little. Then there's the straight key culture, or those who expect you to spend all your time on a bug. Cootie groups. Amazing. And then the keyboarders.
    I'm thankful for those who have mastered and are willing to without judgement pass on useful tips. I've had several since this thread started. Thankful for the digital beginners, because they will bore quickly, then maybe FISTS or SKCC, then who knows, CW-OPs, CFO, FOC. More activity, more fun.
    Spending too much time on here. Time for some cw.

KA0HCP likes this.
  6. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Last edited: May 10, 2019
    K5TSK likes this.
  7. K5TSK

Got it bookmarked. With my internet connection, I'm not sure how that's going to work out but will try it later today.
    I suspect with the growing FISTS and SKCC membership numbers, there are going to be many more who may try to move up speed-wise.

There is something about pushing yourself to new levels that gets the juices flowing, even if you are an old dog like me.
    Thanks for the help.

8. M6GYU

M6GYU Ham Member QRZ Page

Ha, we also have mobile phones, txt and email. You could argue there's no need for amateur radio either. :rolleyes:;)

9. K5TSK

As an ex-traffic handler wannabe, you need not remind me of that. What is that, pepperoni???

M6GYU likes this.
  10. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

One thing about it; every now and then there is a "pop!" and a few milliseconds of audio disappears. This happens with every streaming CW server I know of, however. It's annoying but no worse than a QRN strike.

In addition, it's CNN's twitter feed. When a new tweet is posted, it interrupts what was being sent before. So you hear the beginnings of a lot of news tweets, but you rarely get to hear the end of one.

But it's a good, readily available source of CW at speeds higher than 30 WPM.