Friendly Reminder - BAND PLANS, folks

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by K0OKS, Oct 7, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K0OKS

K0OKS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Each to his own. The point was that a considerate operator would leave those frequencies clear unless there is nowhere else to transmit.

Those frequencies have been singled out on the bandplan for decades. The point is not to support automated stations, but rather to keep the frequency clear for its designated use.

Of course nothing is an allocation. You could go down in the CW portion of the band and talk if you want, but that would be rude and you would get a lot of complaints. A considerate operate would not do that either.

I think the SSTV frequencies should be down around the digital frequencies, but they pre-date so much of that stuff. The fact that the SSTV frequencies are in the SSB portion does not help anything. I think most people who transmit there don't even know the significance of the frequency. I am not going to say I have never done that by mistake.

2. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

Once again it just boils down to RESPECT... No one seems to have RESPECT for others in this hobby, not even on one single planned frequency!
    I don't see that this fellow is asking too much from anyone but to show some respect to what has already in the past been agreed upon.
    This age of ME FIRST and NO LIMITS FOR ME is a damaging cancerous growth in our modern society.
    Have respect, stay clear, it's simple.
    There's lots more frequency available.
    Respectfully Yours Lane de n8aft 72 / 73

K0OKS, N2UHC and KF2M like this.
  3. N2UHC

N2UHC Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually, that's not correct unless the FCC changed the rules without me being aware of it. AFAIK the CW/data portions of the bands are still off limits to phone.

4. K0OKS

I think you are indeed right there. This is why it would probably be better to move SSTV down there, but I suppose it has stayed in the same spot due to legacy equipment.

5. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

You should avoid the SSTV frequencies, just like you should avoid the 20m frequency that must not be named. Common courtesy. Now if we could get the RTTY and CW folks from dumping all over the PSK watering holes during a contest, that would be great.

As far as SSTV in the CW portion of the band, I believe it is too wide to be there, according to the rules.

N2UHC and K0OKS like this.
  6. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

So, even if there is no signal heard on .230, and you ask if the frequency is in use and get no reply...
    you're still supposed to avoid using the frequency? Is that the gist of what's being said here?

If ANY ham frequency is not in use, it's fair game to whomever gets there first.

WG7X likes this.
  7. K0OKS

If there are no other frequencies available, then sure, by all means use it. If there are lots of other frequencies open, then, yes, operators respectful of the bandplan and of other operators would avoid it. That is why that particular frequency is marked on the big color bandplan.

Since the SSTV fequency offers no special advantage to SSB users, but does to SSTV users, why go there if it can be avoided? You CAN legally drive 45 in the left lane of a multi lane highway. That doesn't mean you should if you can avoid it.

8. WG7X

WG7X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You know, I used to respect the SSTV frequency too, but after witnessing the overly aggressive activity in regards to keeping people off of .230 I no longer worry about operating close to .230. I steer clear of any frequency that I know has "permanent occupancy" but having seen some of the things that SSTV ops do to "clear the frequency" I no longer care too much if they don't have a clear frequency 24/7.

Then there is the expansion from analog SSTV to digital SSTV. The digital guys want .233-235?

Where does it stop?

In reality, SSTV needs to be in the 14.100 - 14-150 band where phone operation is sparse.

Just my opinion, which is just as valid as anyone's.

9. K0OKS

I understand your concern, and being rude is never good. But would you continue to drive 45 in the left lane all the time because one or two cars flashed their brights at you and honked last time you were where you really ought not be, given that the cars there now are very unlikely to be the same ones who offended you?

Given that the frequency has been the same for decades I don't think the slippery slope argument holds a lot of weight. It stopped decades ago.

I completely agree. It never should have been placed in the middle of the band. Maybe at the very top of the band if the goal was to let Generals use it, whereas they cannot on 40m.

Don't get me wrong, I am not a hardcore SSTV op. I do it once a month or so. I am just amazed at how many hams don't even know about the bandplan. It is highly likely that an SSTV operator might not hear someone ask if the frequency is in use, and then may end up transmitting over an SSB QSO there. This just goes with using the frequency designated for SSTV. I have had it happen as an SSB op, realized my error, and moved up the band.

10. KK5JY

KK5JY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It did? PSK31, JT65, JT9, FT8, WinLink, various voice nets, and on it goes. If you want a riot on your hands, tell the JT65/FT8 guys that they have to move because their watering hole doesn't match a band plan. The FT8 guys haven't even been going solid for a year, so there was no existing band plan that included them. But they are anchored to their little segments, make no mistake. If you doubt that, try calling CQ in RTTY in their watering hole segment between FT8 transmissions. They will BBQ you.

People need to realize (you included) that there are no frequency assignments. There are general allocations that cover a number of bands and modes. Use of any frequency therein is on a first come, first served basis. Further, you can't get around the lack of frequency assignments by claiming to "squat" on a frequency with automated tools. If 14230 is clear, and somebody starts a voice QSO, the SSTV guys have to move if they want to operate.

Trying to claim a frequency as "ours" or "mine" or "claimed" is no less rude to the rest of the community than the behavior your OP sought to correct. ;)

If you want to put wide modes in the digital segments, fine. Petition the FCC to move the boundary between digital and voice up 50kHz or 100kHz to compensate, and we're all good. :cool: