ad: Radclub22-1

Friendly Reminder - BAND PLANS, folks

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by K0OKS, Oct 7, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. K0OKS

K0OKS Ham Member QRZ Page

As a friendly reminder, please check your bandplans, and do not setup shop where you overlap the single SSTV frequency allocated for 20m and 40m (14.230 and 7.171).

Note that you are at least 3kc wide on SSB (many people WAY over this with overdriven audio and poor loading on their amps); so this means avoid 14.227.1 through 14.232.9 and 7.168.1 through 7.173.9 or your signal will overlap the SSTV frequency and ruin people's images, as well as you will hear annoying sounds.

Thank you. :)

KF5RRF, VE3LDJ and EDDYSTONE like this.
  2. KA5ROW

KA5ROW Ham Member QRZ Page

I have not done SSTV in several years, but I think if you wanted to you could do it anywhere digital is aloud, not a specific frequency. 2 M was open and I did SSTV around 144.250 and had replies on how clear it was.

K9ASE and N2SUB like this.
  3. K0OKS

You certainly can do SSTV just about anywhere, but people are listening for it on the designated frequencies. Systems are in place to receive on those frequencies 24/7.

KF5RRF, W7UUU and N2SUB like this.
  4. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

I bet it gets really dicey in a SSB contest :)

Dave
    W7UUU

N7ANN and WA7PRC like this.
  5. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

The problem with this is that there are all kinds of people trying to claim frequencies for their exclusive use, or the exclusive use of their favorite mode. I can find band plans that have entire bands allocated to special uses. Then I can find another band plan that puts all of the same items in completely different places.

Even if everybody could agree, there's no way people are going to make charts of all of the "black holes" in the bands where they can't operate because somebody has an automated system set up to listen on that frequency. If they do, there will be no room left to operate, because of all the "calling frequencies," "DX windows," "QRP windows," "QRS windows," "weak signal windows," "DV windows," and so on.

Band plans are a good plan, but once you power up the radio, we all have to deal with what is actually there. I look for PSK activity at 14070, but I don't mind if I work it at 14068 or 14072. The key is to be flexible.

If your favorite mode only has one frequency where you are willing to operate, the problem isn't the mode, or the band plan, or whether people adhere to the band plan.

KQ7D, N2EY, K2NCC and 2 others like this.
  6. K0OKS

The mode has a single frequency designated in the bandplan. Not a window like other modes, but a single frequency. Do you suppose they did that for a reason?

People operate SSB over it all the time, and then they complain when they get QRMed by stations who (incorrectly) do not listen before transmitting.

Do what you wish, but a good operator adheres to the bandplans unless there is a specific reason not to. It is good practice to think about where you are transmitting.

KF5RRF, VE3LDJ and W7UUU like this.
  7. K0OKS

Everywhere gets dicey in a contest. The contestors overlap each other by 2kcs, etc.

8. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

With all due respect, 14.230 has for many many years been the "Analog SSTV frequency" and I agree that tradition should hold firm and keep it that way. I first saw SSTV on a monochrome Robot-brand SSTV setup in my Elmer's shack around 1974, and the mode was pretty mature even then - and was conducted on 14.230 MHz.

I consider such traditions to be important to this hobby.

Just my 2 cents

Dave
    W7UUU

N7ANN, AC0OB, ND6M and 1 other person like this.
  9. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

In a bigly contest, the level of activity is often such that the difference in frequency is zero. Then, instead of running a frequency, I search-and-pounce. If I'm not interested in entering the fray, I do something else... typically one of the NON ham things on my long list. :)

10. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

So where does it stop? How many modes are going to demand exclusive little slivers of HF bands before we no longer have HF bands for all the little "windows?"

I get the OP's point of not overlapping with ongoing QSOs, whether it is the dial freq or the splatter that does the overlapping. That's something that more voice ops should take care to do. I hear SSB splatter during contests that covers several channels' worth of spectrum. That's not acceptable, at any time.

That said, there's nothing holy about 14230. It's a band plan, not an allocation. Keeping an entire voice channel clear 24/7 so that automated receivers can get a clear picture just in case someone might transmit -- that's not a reasonable expectation.

N2EY, AC0OB, KF5RHI and 1 other person like this.
  11. K0OKS

Each to his own. The point was that a considerate operator would leave those frequencies clear unless there is nowhere else to transmit.

Those frequencies have been singled out on the bandplan for decades. The point is not to support automated stations, but rather to keep the frequency clear for its designated use.

Of course nothing is an allocation. You could go down in the CW portion of the band and talk if you want, but that would be rude and you would get a lot of complaints. A considerate operate would not do that either.

I think the SSTV frequencies should be down around the digital frequencies, but they pre-date so much of that stuff. The fact that the SSTV frequencies are in the SSB portion does not help anything. I think most people who transmit there don't even know the significance of the frequency. I am not going to say I have never done that by mistake.

12. N8AFT

N8AFT Ham Member QRZ Page

Once again it just boils down to RESPECT... No one seems to have RESPECT for others in this hobby, not even on one single planned frequency!
    I don't see that this fellow is asking too much from anyone but to show some respect to what has already in the past been agreed upon.
    This age of ME FIRST and NO LIMITS FOR ME is a damaging cancerous growth in our modern society.
    Have respect, stay clear, it's simple.
    There's lots more frequency available.
    Respectfully Yours Lane de n8aft 72 / 73

K0OKS, N2UHC and KF2M like this.
  13. N2UHC

N2UHC Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually, that's not correct unless the FCC changed the rules without me being aware of it. AFAIK the CW/data portions of the bands are still off limits to phone.

14. K0OKS

I think you are indeed right there. This is why it would probably be better to move SSTV down there, but I suppose it has stayed in the same spot due to legacy equipment.

15. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

You should avoid the SSTV frequencies, just like you should avoid the 20m frequency that must not be named. Common courtesy. Now if we could get the RTTY and CW folks from dumping all over the PSK watering holes during a contest, that would be great.

As far as SSTV in the CW portion of the band, I believe it is too wide to be there, according to the rules.

N2UHC and K0OKS like this.