FRG-7 Lock light never comes on

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by KI7WQH, Nov 5, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KI7WQH

KI7WQH Ham Member QRZ Page

I've got an FRG-7 that seems to work fine in every way other than the lock light never comes on. I know the light itself isn't burnt out because when I turn the unit off the lock light briefly lights up before it powers down. It's not a huge deal because the radio works and I just look at the s-meter to get it on frequency and that seems to work just fine but would love to get it figured out if someone knows what might be causing this.

2. WB3BEL

WB3BEL Ham Member QRZ Page

The FRG-7 is locked when the light is OFF.

3. KI7WQH

I know, but the light is always off

4. N8YX

N8YX Ham Member QRZ Page

Have a scope?

Look at the reference oscillator output (see the schematic). If nothing there, you will not get a lock indication.

Next would be the tunable band-range oscillator, which locks on 1MHz harmonics if it has the correct reference signal.

KI7WQH likes this.
  5. WB3BEL

WB3BEL Ham Member QRZ Page

You say the receiver seems to be working fine. The normal condition for the PLL is locked state. When you first turn the receiver on or off, there might be a momentary blip of the unlock light. When you change bands you might notice a very short blip of the light, but it might be too faint to see or happen too fast.

I would expect this light to be off nearly all of the time and it sounds like that is what you are observing.

Why do you think there is a problem ?

6. N8YX

N8YX Ham Member QRZ Page

Unless the rig has been modded with a bi-color LED (green for lock, red for unlock) this is how it SHOULD work. When changing bands, the LED will light up if out of locking range then extinguish when the band selector is rotated to a multiple of the reference oscillator frequency.

7. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

If the light is on, Transmit is locked out. :p:rolleyes:

8. KI7WQH

I will check this out, thanks for the info

I've never seen the light come on other than when i turn it off (maybe when I turn it on) even when tuning slowly between bands and there have been a few times it would have been helpful because I thought I had it locked in but I was off, also the first position (AM broadcast medium wave) is extremely tricky to get locked in for some reason.