Frequent disconnecting HRD radio control USB under high power

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by K8EA, Mar 9, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K8EA

K8EA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for all of the thoughtful replies. I solved the problem. I found a heavy duty, high quality cable and (duh?) replaced the other cable. This one works flawlessly with NO torroids. So I guess the cable was bad or inferior.
    Ed/K8EA

W1XWX and KA9JLM like this.
  2. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree. I had the same problem not long ago. One other thing you can do is make sure you properly ground your computer chassis.

Another related issue I've had is RF from the computer showing up as noise in my receiver. Again, grounding the computer made a big difference.

3. W1XWX

W1XWX Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes I use a Granite brand Firewire cable from Flex to computer no rfi but they are pricey cables. Guess that's what you pay for! :)

4. VA7MMW

VA7MMW Ham Member QRZ Page

Same issue here; FT8 transmissions on 20m would disconnect a particular piece of equipment connected to my computer by a USB cable. After trying multiple ferrites on all i/o cables to the usb-connected box without success, found this thread. Replaced the USB cable and the issue disappeared. In addition to suboptimal usb cable shielding, the issue could also possibly be related to USB cable length related to frequency of transmission.

5. WA9FZB

WA9FZB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Just "for the record" if you need a high-quality shielded and choke-protected USB cable, look for the ones from TrippLite. Each conductor is shielded, and there are ferrite chokes on each end of the cable. This was advice given to me (from others here) when I had USB connectivity loss on my TS-590S. It solved my problem.

I also seem to remember seeing a couple of articles about TS-590S radios having a high rate of failure of the USB interface board within the rig. These users had to either replace the board or switch to using the DB9 serial connector with a USB-to-serial adapter.