Frequent disconnecting HRD radio control USB under high power

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by K8EA, Mar 9, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. K8EA

K8EA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Help needed. I often lose my USB radio control connection between my TS-590SG and my computer when running 1400-1500 watts (AL-1500 amp). I have tried many of the usual remedies. This does not happen everyday, but happens often and when it does it persists. Doesn't happen at low power. I have torroids, moved the cables, good grounding, etc. I don't have an obvious excess RF in the shack issue that I can detect. Any suggestions would be helpful.
    Ed/K8EA

2. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Trying a different USB port may help.

Good Luck.

3. N0SYA

N0SYA Ham Member QRZ Page

Also, not all usb cables are equal.

K8EA likes this.
  4. KA9JLM

That is very true. External hubs can cause problems too.

5. W8JX

W8JX Ham Member QRZ Page

You have RF in shack that is getting into computer. It could be via USB cable or another route and USB failure is result. Try a shorter USB cable abd keep all run to and from computer short. Where is you antenna in relation to shack and what type is it? What bands it issue on?

KK4NSF and K8EA like this.
  6. KA9JLM

That sounds about right. I field strength meter will tell for sure.

What really sucks is when it locks up in transmit. :eek:

7. W1XWX

W1XWX Ham Member QRZ Page

Had the exact same issue-- when I keyed up on certain bands the USB ports on the computer across the room would all disconnect. I solved this issue by using braid and bonding all the equipment to a single point -- with a short run to a ground rod right outside the shack window. Previously I had been using 8 gauge wire.

8. K8EA

K8EA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for all replies. I have central point grounding on all equipment but have NOT grounded the PC's chassis. Is it advisable to ground the PC chassis with the station ground buss?

9. W1XWX

W1XWX Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, however I personally did not do that and still solved the RFI issue. I run a Flex 3000 with an ALS600 amp by the way. The other thing I did at the same time was to install ferrites on all the wall warts in the shack. Try grounding the computer chassis and telling us what happens. Braid seemed to be the solution for me--- all to one point (NOT a buss-bar which I previously used).

Also in my case I have a choke balun on the long wire, and the tower beam coax shield is grounded to the tower legs and also to the pass-through panel. The run to the ground rod from the single point is VERY short. Note that I eliminated the buss bar and just attached all the ground straps to one single point with a stainless steel bolt , washers, and wing nut.

You can see videos about this on my YouTube site -- just search for "telescopeman" on youtube. I have a 9 part series of videos for beginning hams a couple of them are about grounding.

Also whatever cable connects the radio to the computer (USB?) put 2 magnets on that cable one on each end..

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
  10. KM4BLG

KM4BLG Ham Member QRZ Page

I would say that this is your best possibility. However, I would make sure you are not drawing too much power somewhere and starving a circuit of power. Probably unlikely, but worth a shot.