Frequency precision...

Discussion in 'Logbook User Forum' started by N3EVL, Apr 12, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. N3EVL

N3EVL Ham Member QRZ Page

Is there any way to enter log frequencies that are more precise than the 1KHz increments? I use 60m quite a lot and cant enter 5398.5 for example.

2. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Enter in MHz.

3. N3EVL

Hmmm...thought I'd tried that. Just edited an entry using 5.3985 which it accepted but it shows up in the list page as 5.400 instead of the 5.399 previously there. Can't see any way to alter the precision on the list page.

4. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Understand. It rounds off on the list. But it will be as you entered on the QSO page.. Ironically, I found some "errors" with some old listings in my log. Things like 7,004.800. They don't round off or truncate in the list. Weird!
    Even though its incorrect, just as a test try entering 5,398.5 and see what happens.

5. N3EVL

I tried what you suggested but it didn't like it - see error message shown below. I also noticed that when entered as 5.3985. the freq as displayed in the list now has reverted to 5.399 (yesterday it initially showed up as 5.400). When hovering the mouse over that value, it correctly displays the as-entered freq.

upload_2021-4-13_9-48-35.png

KP4SX likes this.
  6. N3EVL

I noticed in the as-viewed html source for the list page, that there are several occurrences of "toFixed(3)" relating to numeric values displayed including refs to frequency which are likely limiting the number of decimal places.

7. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Guys,
    Ask yourself this question: Is there any need for such precision in a ham radio log?

Historically, ham radio logs only needed the band, or the frequency rounded up to some common level. In this case, 5.40 MHz. That is enough to indicate what band the contact was made on. It is only since the addition of the digital displays that anyone has wanted to record frequency so precisely.

Yes, I know that sixty meters is a special case in that we need to be accurate on our exact allotted frequency but sixty meters is not a normal ham band in many respects. One of the many reasons that I won't be operating there any time soon.

In any event, it is still not necessary to record frequencies to the level wanted here. But whatever, do what makes you happy, but try not to stress on too much precision.

KA0HCP and KA2RRK like this.
  8. N3EVL

Maybe it's some kind of ham-related OCD on my part - but...if I've taken the trouble to enter the frequency in the log to a certain precision and the log is capable of and in fact does store it as such, I don't think it's unreasonable that the software should display it accordingly.

WB2JAX likes this.
  9. VA2GK

VA2GK Ham Member QRZ Page

I like to enter the frequency precisely also, it's interesting to see over the years when you log the same station to realize they like to work on a specific frequency, changes nothing really, but I like it.
    I get really uneasy when it's time to log a station that I worked on 14167.5, like this morning, I guess I too suffer from logbook OCD :p

10. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Precision is not the same as accuracy. If your display can show you digits ranging into three points to the right of the decimal point, that's surely precise, but what if the radio is not actually on that frequency?

The only way to be sure is to measure your radio's accuracy against a known source like WWV or to use a calibrated frequency counter to align the display with the actual transmitted / received frequency.

So, if you tune to WWV on any frequency, say 10.000 MHz, but you get zero beat at 10.100 MHz then obviously something is off, right? ARRL does, or at least they used to do an annual frequency measuring contest were they would transmit a signal and we would have to measure it as accurately as we could. Surprisingly enough, many commercial radios were way off on their dial calibrations...

Some radios, like y old TS-940 have an easily accessed point to enable them to be calibrated against WWV, and frequency counter or other known signal source. Then we could be both precise and accurate at the same time...

But like I said before, in ham radio, close enough usually is...