Free services at Dayton Hamvention 2012

Discussion in 'Hamfest and Convention Calendar' started by W9FIZ, Feb 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. W4ITM

W4ITM Ham Member QRZ Page

At least the lawyer wasn't across from the booth waiting to help someone with a lawsuit. You are correct about a sue happy era.

2. W4PG

W4PG Super Moderator Lifetime Member 279 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

How are you getting to Dayton? Did you consider that by driving there, you could get yourself in a real big lawsuit? What if your tire fails due to negligence of Michelin and you lose control of your vehicle and kill a family of 4? If you are flying, have you any idea of the risk assumed by the carrier transporting you should they injure or kill you?

But you're not going to test a tube for fear of a "terrible lawsuit?" Ask the lawyer who told you this how damages are assessed in these lawsuits. You risk "killing" the tested tube. Gosh . . that might be $5 dollars!!

Seriously, IMHO you've been given bogus advice for what you intended to do at a convention of HOBBIESTS. This is ham radio, not a convention of personal injury attorneys.

...............Bob <------------ who is also a lawyer among other things.

3. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll also vote along with W4PG, so that makes two lawyers against one. Yes, you might get involved in a terrible lawsuit. For example, if someone comes up to your table and says, "can you help me test this bomb that I just bought," and you agree, then it's quite possible that someone will sue you if the bomb explodes. Or, if you get angry during the testing process and throw a piece of equipment at someone, then you might get sued. If you snatch something out of someone's hands and test it without their permission, then you might get sued. But if you don't plan on doing anything like that, then you're just as likely to get sued if you stay home and engage in some other activity that day.

And if you do get sued, it's probably covered by your homeowner's insurance, so if lack of insurance is what's keeping you home, that's probably not a problem.

If you're just letting people use your power outlet, some friendly advice, and some free help in checking out a new piece of equipment, I really don't see much of a problem.

The best way to avoid getting sued is to use some common sense. Ironically, I've found that people who go out of their way to avoid getting sued generally wind up doing things that get them sued. Some of the best defendants I've ever sued were people who did foolish things in an attempt to avoid getting sued. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.