ad: ProAudio-1

FREE RADIO for New Hams with the QRZ Jumpstart Program!

Discussion in 'Videos and Podcasts' started by KC5HWB, Sep 6, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. KC5HWB

KC5HWB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

N8JJM likes this.
  2. K9TDW

K9TDW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

AK5B, G7DAZ, KE0GXN and 5 others like this.
  3. N3DMV

N3DMV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, the truth is (like it or not) that some folks really are actually getting their first exposure to the program through that video, even if it's a month after the launch of the program. I'm sure some people follow their personal YouTube subscriptions more closely than they follow QRZ forum. The links in that video point to the forum, so where is the harm, really, and what is the reason for the hate?

W2JLD, KC5HWB and W9EBE like this.
  4. DO1FER

DO1FER Ham Member QRZ Page

Good idea to think the manual over. Especially for starters in that hobby the abbreviations and the technical vocabulary could confuse in the start. My personal fault in the start was, that I hadnt an eye on the TOT which was preselected in the firmware of my new transceiver for hamradio. And the manual dont gave any advise to those options.

KC5HWB likes this.
  5. KQ1V

KQ1V Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, thing is, on QRZ anyone can, sort of, post any type of self-promotional video and claim it is breaking news... even if it is from 2003.

Even the tank radio (did he even serve?) chubby guy with the high pitch squeal that screams... no harm no foul, right?

Jason is a good egg, what harm is it to anyone? None, he [Jason & tank radio guy] promotes the hobby in a logical, non-condescending way; hence, the very definition of an "Elmer". o_O

Just my two shekels.

N2OA, W2JLD, W5MDB and 1 other person like this.
  6. KC5HWB

AA3SO likes this.
  7. KC5HWB

Ouch, that really hurts my feelings that someone so blinded by their own viewpoint, and hates factual information, isn't watching my show.
    Again, where is the other post on this forum with a video interview from Fred, the owner of this website? I'll wait...

AA3SO, KQ1V and W2JLD like this.
  8. W2JLD

W2JLD Ham Member QRZ Page

no matter what someone does to promote something there is always going to be naysayers and haters...Jason does a great job with his videos. It takes a lot of effort to put these videos out here...it takes time to put content on air to satisfy peoples interest in this hobby.

If you think for 1 sec you can do better, then by all means get off your complaining a** and get out there and provide content on these platforms.

Some people are so blinded by their own viewpoint, they miss the actual facts......some just like to hear themselves complain.

N9WFT, KC5HWB, W9EBE and 6 others like this.
  9. N9SOX

N9SOX Ham Member QRZ Page

I watch many of the Channels that people Poo-Poo here on the Forums. Yeah, the goofy-faced Thumbnails are silly.

Somehow; someone, somewhere, has determined that silly faces and pointing at things causes more people to click on the Video? Not sure why, but I guess it works. I see it across many Content Platforms.

It's nice to see people enthusiastic about the Hobby and if they make a few bucks, hey good on em'. It's my responsibility to take that info; research it, and do as I need with it, right or wrong.

Regarding that last statement, it seems you'll find a bit more enthusiasm from those YouTube Videos than you find here on the "Zed" with people fighting, arguing and getting into pissing contests. Whatever the content, it's nice watching people ACTIVE in a hobby instead of just sitting in a Chair arguing on a Forum.

G5TM, ITAL7, W9EBE and 4 others like this.
  10. KM4KGN

KM4KGN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Fred has had this pinned to the top of QRZ for weeks...so I'm not sure how this is "news" at this point.

Maybe it's time for a special area in the forum just for YouTuber to post videos.

N8TGQ, KE0GXN, N4CAX and 2 others like this.
  11. K9TDW

No, but Fred is the one that actually posted that!!!

KE0GXN and K9EZ like this.
  12. K9TDW

I will second that!!

KE0GXN and N4CAX like this.
  13. K5CO

K5CO Ham Member QRZ Page

I find the "newly minted hams' to be on a par, technically speaking, with semi-advanced CB radio enthusiasts. New hams have to put up to zero effort in and why would they need a 'free' radio when they are nearly free on Amazon? OK, free for the ones that can get on our relays and chat about not much. I do see that quite a number of them are dropping out after a while as cellphones are more useful to them; no experimenting or serious radio use is of interest. ARRL did lie to the FCC about the number of hams that wanted to drop code; and it worked for them. In the meantime, I am not a cheer leader for the no=code hams; they don't know what they missed. All of which dovetails with America' s decline in so many areas.

K8NY, AK5B and W0JMJ like this.
  14. W2JLD

W2JLD Ham Member QRZ Page

Ham radio is a mixture of all types of people, all walks of like, all walks of knowledge, not everyone that gets their license stays in the hobby.
    Its great they give out free radios and its great that QRZ and GIGAPARTS is doing their part to invite people into this hobby....you can lead a horse to water but you can not make them drink.
    getting "newly minted hams' to stay in the hobby can be very challenging.
    we can go back and forth, code . no code. who really cares.
    We are not dictated to do what others want us to do and who are they to tell us what we should and should not do. I say do as you wish , get out of the hobby what you put into it, don't worry about naysayers and haters. Life is too short to get caught up in others mindset and pointless views. GO OUT HAVE FUN !!!

N9WFT, W9EBE and KQ1V like this.
  15. KQ1V

KQ1V Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

...they are bringing back Element 2?!?! :D

KE0GXN likes this.