Free PACTOR-1/2/3 Monitoring Software for Raspberry Pi available

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by DL6MAA, Oct 12, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KX4Z

KX4Z Ham Member QRZ Page

AHA!!! that makes a lot of sense. So maybe a more fair test would be if I tell it to stick to P2? Because otherwise, the pactor modem as you point out is always going to beat the signalink because it has superior techniques. There is something about superior gear......it beats inferior gear. A monitor who had a BETTER signal would be in a better position, of course. And a modest network would arrange that.

THanks! that explains a lot.

2. W6EM

W6EM Ham Member QRZ Page

The Stored Communications Act (SCA, codified at 18 U.S.C. Chapter 121 §§ 2701–2712) is a law that addresses voluntary and compelled disclosure of "stored wire and electronic communications and transactional records" held by third-party internet service providers (ISPs). It was enacted as Title II of the Electronic Communications Privacy Act of 1986 (ECPA).

While there's no expectation of privacy once accepted and transmitted per Part 97, it is the process of taking it from an "uninformed" Internet source and releasing it. Think of it this way: If the non-ham email author isn't informed and doesn't consent to the public transmission of their email in its entirety, there's likely a problem with the SCA/ECPA. There is also a provision for civil penalties for any harm from a release. There's little question that "service provider" doesn't describe ARSFI/Winlink and their server storage of incoming Internet emails prior to transmission from an ACDS. If someone reads a credit card number and uses it, well, is that legal? Could the person or his/her bank who owns the credit card be damaged?

Sure glad we X'ed out the numbers exemplified in our email complaint that were copied from the Viewer.

We hams tend to talk in circles (including me) and don't look outside our circles very far. If I am right, then that is possibly why two Winlinkers tried very arduously to get the FCC to allow email encryption for WL transmission......but lost out (Sherrod and Waterman). It was either this concern or a form of begging permission after the fact for the early assumptions of Winlink obscurity.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
  3. KX4Z

KX4Z Ham Member QRZ Page

This is a pretty laughable discussion. Hasn't it been going on for some days now? I emailed a moderator to point out how ludicrous it was, but that went no where. So lets just ask the obvious question: "What makes you think the Internet source is currently UNINFORMED?"

That is a pretty simple question.

4. K0IDT

K0IDT Ham Member QRZ Page

T-shirt guy and pizza girl, Rambo and Herpes girl emails maybe? How is the internet side being informed? The footer that's added to the bottom of emails from the ham side that no one reads? Face it the internet non-ham side is as clueless as many of the ham side operators. Too bad you can't get access to the multi-page complaint, it's an eye opener.

5. KX4Z

KX4Z Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you. So it is acknowledged that they are informed.

6. K0IDT

Only if they read the disclaimer. Why don't you do another "study" and find out who actually reads the junk at the bottom of any internet emails, not just the ones destined for delivery over the ham bands. Quite a few ham Winlink clients never bothered to read the Winlink ToS, or third party county rules, or Part 97 rules. That was painfully obvious when Lor sent out his email complaining about having to do enforce FCC?? rules because clients and syops had willfully ignored them.

7. KX4Z

KX4Z Ham Member QRZ Page

What a hoot. Try that argument the next time you get stopped for speeding.

(I don’t know if you speed at all, you may not for all I know & and I’m not making any insinuation ), but it would be a real hoot to try to tell the officer “I’m sorry, sir, I wasn’t informed by that traffic sign back there.“

Honest discussion requires that people admit the obvious. To wit: When you inform people that their writing may be open to public inspection, they are informed. The last two or three days of this has merely been argument for arguments sake.

On another issue, I understand there is a person who still does not yet recognize that anyone can read WINLINK Pactor. And that with a modicum of software expertise they could read anything WINLINK.... I guess they were not informed by multiple documents filed with the FCC. Or here, either! Hasn’t Peter explained it well enough? I don’t know whether to laugh or cry.

Part of the goal of amateur radio is to raise up experts, people who are technically capable. That’s important and we all need to work together at it. I don’t think there’s anyone here who would say I haven’t been trying to do my part.....Grin. But I’ll sure give it another try!!!

266 pages & counting— according to someone else. We could stop all this wasted effort if people would just acknowledge the proven.

8. K0IDT

No change, no hope, back to the zone.

9. KX4Z

KX4Z Ham Member QRZ Page

bye! By the way, our middle child got his RN last Friday. For a kid who made three successive "D"'s in REMEDIAL MATH.....becoming a Marine and then a stellar nursing student, and passing his boards on the first try, was quite an achievement!!! All three kids may be again gainfully employed soon!! We're very proud of him, as we are of all our kids.

Right after the ceremony was over, there was a big COMMOTION at the far far side of the pew [ceremony held in a church there were so many people] we were in and everybody was yelling for me and pointing......so I hustled over there and a nurse was trying so hard to hold this lady up, who was quite obviously SEIZING. So I did a jawthrust to keep her airway open, and we gently eased her down and later out of the cramped area and waited an eternity for the EMTs to arrive...... Her husband was going to pieces and I could barely get a medical history out of him for his wife. Her daughters then showed up --- THEY knew their mom's medical issues..... A new onset seizure (without a prodromal headache of immense proportions) is always concerning for a mass in the cranium so I tried to get the husband a bit prepared for a long night in the hospital....and finally the EMTs took over.

Such is life. "Semper Gumby" Always Flexible.

10. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

this is why we cannot have nice things :(