ad: AbAuRe-1

Fraud using W4DJ call sign and his attached Email Address

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by KC5OMC, Jul 7, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. KA2FIR

KA2FIR Ham Member QRZ Page

Did you lookup W4DJ and read his disclaimer in his QRZ bio prior to initating anykind of transaction?

"
    WARNING: I'm told that someone has stolen my Idenity to defraud and scam others on QRZ.
    While I have sold many items in the past, I currently have NO Items for sale at this time!!!!!! BUYERS BEWARE!!!!

I Have No Items For Sale At This TIME!!!!!!

Report anyone Selling/Scamming with the W4DJ Callsign.

Ray
    W 4 D J
    "

2. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I'd NEVER buy anything that expensive via email. I'd ask for a phone number and have a chat - and if the "seller" even responds back with a phone number, I'd call and ask LOTS of technical and operational questions.... stuff a scammer not in actual possession would have no way to answer.

But I'd STILL be very very cautious

Dave
    W7UUU

N0TZU and N2AMM like this.
  3. N6RGR

N6RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Did not buy as I was very suspicious. Good advice as to the phone number request.

N2AMM and W7UUU like this.
  4. AC7AV

AC7AV Ham Member QRZ Page

Same PayPal address I was given. By the way that Enzo Ruiz is a Argentinean Footballer. Most likely also lifted from the internet.

5. N6RGR

N6RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This Enzo Ruiz tried again hijacking another callsign:

James Monroe <n7esu15@gmail.com>
    To:
    Aug 31 at 2:57 PM

Yes my PayPal address is same as my email address.
    Tnx,

He even used a "real" call sign, but no email address listed here on QRZ, so he made up a email address using the real call sign of James Monroe, N7ESU. When I checked, his Paypal address was again enzo_ruiz@yahoo.com. So beware of responses to your for sale or wants. Do some checking and USE the phone as suggested by Dave to speak to the real person. I sent him an e-mail stating I was reporting him to Paypal and the FBI - no additional responses.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
  6. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

The bad thing about Gmail, Is that you normally need a court order to get the IP address of a sender.

So tracking a scammer is harder to do. But is a can do.

Ask a seller or buyer for their IP address if they use gmail, Then do a reverse lookup to find their real location.

That is just one way to verify who is screwing you. :)

7. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

I've said this before but it bears repeating:

This 'scammer' is NOT a single individual (of course in some cases it could be though, a 'lone wolf')

Instead, we are dealing with an ORGANIZED CRIME NETWORK.

Look at the news of weeks past where a ring of 80 or more persons were arrested and charged with internet fraud, 'scamming'.

The ones who are operating now are using 'moles' who have QRZ membership and may in fact have valid ham licenses in order to get in and see the email addresses on our bio pages. (in fact, I'm certain of this).

They also use a network of 'mules' in order to launder the cash coming back to them.

The 80 who were tracked down and arrested may be part of the same crime syndicate who are poaching QRZ.

It's MUCH more sophisticated than most realize.

N0TZU and KA2FIR like this.