Fraud using W4DJ call sign and his attached Email Address

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by KC5OMC, Jul 7, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

This appears to be the prevalent scam method since the Verified program started July 1, since they can’t post in the swapmeet forums. The scammer contacts the mark by email and offers a bogus item after seeing their interest in a legitimate item for sale on the forum. It sounds like they might also do it via PM if they have control of a hacked QRZ account.

Always be extremely wary of anyone offering the item besides the original “for sale” poster. It’s almost certainly a scam.

Also, the usual advice applies of checking that the email address, physical address, and name matches the one on QRZ.

I’m selling a couple of items currently and took the precaution of putting a message on my bio page that any email purporting to be from me but using a different email than listed is a fraud.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
    KC5OMC and NZ4X like this.
  2. AH7I

AH7I Ham Member QRZ Page

For USA hams, I find it convenient to mail a USPS money order to their FCC listed address. They can take it to the post office, trade it for cash, and mail my stuff all in one trip. If the post office is short of cash, they can verify the authenticity of the money order for worry free deposit.

KA3BQE likes this.
  3. W4RUN

W4RUN Ham Member QRZ Page

I posted yesterday on QRZ, that I was looking for a 746 Pro. Got an email from him ( a Raymond Faircloth) offering one for sale. I
    thought the price was low for a Pro. So I requested pictures. Haven't heard from him since!

4. KA2FIR

KA2FIR Ham Member QRZ Page

You were contacted by a scammer because you publishd your email address in your WTB ad making it WORLD-READABLE. The moderator removed it but not before a scammer got a hold of it.

"Looking for a Icom IC-746 Pro in good working condition on all bands and modes.

N0TZU and W7UUU like this.
  5. AC7AV

AC7AV Ham Member QRZ Page

I guess that’s this guy’s thing, only responds by email. I wonder what’s in it for him. I talked to PayPal at length a couple of days ago about this guy. They seem to think that the PayPal account holder has to jump through so many hoops and have verified accounts that make it hard for them to create a fake account. The person I talked to also said they will go after anybody that does something like this and they will never be able to use PayPal again. But then I asked, what’s stopping them from making a fake account. They said the amount verifications that are in place make it near impossible, with bank accounts and phone numbers that need to be verified first. If someone is scamming in this way, it’s a lot of work for them to do it. So in 20 days I get my money back and everyone that pays threw PayPal, not using Frauds and Family are protected. I have always been willing to pay the PayPal fees to protect myself. It’s just a hassle with this guy messing with people, but it’s no lost to me except some time.

6. AC7AV

AC7AV Ham Member QRZ Page

By the way, I didn't post my email address in my want ad, he still got my email address.

7. NZ4X

NZ4X XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Our email addresses are out there regardless of if it is posted in a current ad. A simple search of most call signs will come back with the email address of the call sign owner. Most of us have posted our email address somewhere in a prior listing ,club message board or club membership roster. It is still best to never post any contact info in a current listing.

KA2FIR likes this.
  8. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It's on your QRZ bio page. If he's a member of QRZ, he'd be able to see it.

9. N6RGR

N6RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I posted a want for a KX-2 here on QRZ today - received this reply:

Raymond Faircloth <raymondfaircloth875@gmail.com>
    To:
    Aug 31 at 10:14 AM

I have for sale an elecraft kx2 in a perfect working condition. Comes with all factory accessories and options installed. Asking $650 shipped. Let me know if your are interested.

We followed up and then he sent this Paypal address:

Okay I’ll ship through priority mail to your PO Box address . My PayPal address is enzo_ruiz@yahoo.com

Not sure if this the real Raymand Faircloth, Sr W4DJ.

10. NZ4X

NZ4X XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Definitely NOT the real ham.

KC5OMC likes this.