Fraud using W4DJ call sign and his attached Email Address

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by KC5OMC, Jul 7, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Most of you are not professional writers or have a background in conducting investigations. A good rule to follow when writing about the event similar to the one described in this thread is to keep in mind the following:
    Who
    What
    Where
    When
    Why
    How
    To the extent this information is available to you, it helps those reading the post to understand what transpired.

2. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

Looks like this is the ad you are referring to. Did you get a response from that seller too?

3. KC5OMC

KC5OMC Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

A lesson learned , would do things much differently next time. I should have waited , Because of a very busy schedule & was really crunched for time and the original one I had been looking at was in Louisiana . Didn't have time to go pick it up and shipping seemed very convenient at the time. I do purchase ALOT threw the internet and its not uncommon to see people suggest FF to save money even though I never do. Suppose I have gotten to comfortable purchasing over the internet, but this has definitely gotten my attention... At this point being that it was purchased with PP protection hopefully things will work out....

4. AC7AV

AC7AV Ham Member QRZ Page

I think I have another scam from this person using the same name and call.

I have listed a want ad for an LDG-AT1000ProII tuner and matching meter. I got a response from W4DJ in regards to my listening. Everything passed the sniff test when I was checking it out. He didn’t supply his call but I already knew it researching the name attached to the email address. When I asked for his call, he gave it as W4DJ. By the way, W4DJ does not have his email address listed on QRZ so as far as I can tell it would not have been real easy to get the email address, if it is really W4DJ's address, buy maybe the real Ray, got wind and removed the address since the last one about this amplifier. So far so good. I asked for a couple of pictures and how old was it. He in short order supplied two pictures that looked like he described and he said he was the original owner and it was 5 months old. Okay, sounds good. The price was a good price, not a smoking deal but very good. I did a quick image search on the pictures he send and I found nothing, so it didn’t look like the pictures were lifted from the net, but you know how it is, sometimes there are so many pictures of an item, you can go on for days looking at pictures of them. Anyway, I paid for the tuner, threw PayPal, and no I did not use friends and family. That’s never happening, and the seller never even asked. The PayPal account was a different address then his email address, but that’s not to uncommon, I use a different one myself. So as I kept looking around I found the picture he used online. Turns out it was from a listing that W0GMM used just over 2 years ago selling a tuner / meter combo. Damn it! What a waste of time and temporary loss of money. I’ll give it few days and see if I even get a tracking number, but I’m not holding my breath on this one. I already contacted PayPal and explained my thoughts on this transaction, so they put a note on the file.

5. NZ4X

NZ4X XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It seems like you had your doubts about this guy from the beginning. Unfortunately you didn't go by your initial feelings. At least you paid using PayPal and not frauds and Family. When in doubt I usually ask the seller for his contact phone number. Most of the time the deal ends there. If they do supply a contact phone number and all you understand is every third word he says that would also be a signal to run away. Good luck! @AC7AV

6. AC7AV

AC7AV Ham Member QRZ Page

I didn't really have doubts at first, but anytime I buy anything on QRZ or other sites I have a few rules that I follow. The phone number is not one that I have but it is now, so thanks for that one. Anyway, I don't know what this person is going to get out of or what they think they will get out of it. You have to have a well established account to have access to the money immediately to be able to drain the account. Otherwise its a long wait period to actually get the money from PayPal. Unless something has changed, this is how it was when I first started selling using paypal, or maybe that was an Ebay thing, I mite be confusing them. So in the mean time a dispute will come up, if the item is not shipped out or received. The buyer gets a refund and the seller looses, unless somehow PayPal eats it.

7. KA2FIR

KA2FIR Ham Member QRZ Page

Account is active:

W4DJ was last seen:Tuesday at 1:10 PM

8. W4DJ

W4DJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I am Ray, W4DJ. It appears that someone has used my call sign... but the email address that was used is NOT my email. CLOSE, But not may email. I am working with QRZ to make sure this identity stealing stops with my call sign. 2nd time in a year.

KC5OMC likes this.
  9. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Ray, sorry for your trouble with these scummers.

One thing you should consider doing, if you have not already done so, is to add a 'blurb' to the TOP of your QRZ bio page and indicate that a scummer is using your call sign and that you are NOT selling anything.

[edit: never mind! I see you have already done so! Good job.]

This might be enough to cause them to stop using your callsign. Of course they'll simply move to someone else's....

KJ4VTH and KA2FIR like this.
  10. N9CM

N9CM Ham Member QRZ Page

I have had folks, honest ones, ask me to just send Pay Pal FF. Nope, Nada, never doing it. I can add the cheap "fee" if they are so pitiful they can't absorb it...but never, never, ever, pay FF. Anything goes wrong, you are outside looking in on a rainy day....no help nothing. NEVER USE FF> Get it! Glad you didn't!

KC5OMC likes this.