ad: Sussex-1

Francis "Frank" Masure, KA7CGG - SK

Discussion in 'Silent Keys / Friends Remembered' started by K2NCC, Sep 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. K2NCC

K2NCC Ham Member QRZ Page

RE: Francis "Frank" Masure, KA7CGG

In a surprising murder-suicide, a good friend of mine is now a silent key.

Frank "#1" as we called him on the local W7LT repeater, will be missed by many.

Words just can't define my shock. It's one thing to lose a friend to disease, accident, or some natural cause. It's another to know that someone you've talked to 100+ times or had over to your QTH actually could kill someone, let alone himself.

If I had one wish at the moment, I'd wish he hadn't done it. I'd give my left leg to see him alive and happy.

f, k2ncc

Related articles:

http://www.kptv.com/news/24957421/detail.html

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/09/portland_police_discover_woman.html

http://www.koinlocal6.com/content/n...nt-ruled-a-murder/QW6h_z3UJECJxP0VYl3THQ.cspx

2. WX5RP

WX5RP Ham Member QRZ Page

KA7CGG SK

Frank was probably the most popular guy on the local airwaves here in Portland/Vancouver and surrounding areas.

I'm in shock. There may be some aspects of this police investigation that were a little too open-and-shut for the guy I knew Frank to be. It wouldn't surprise me if something came to light at a later date. For now, Frank is regarded as a violent man, indeed a murderer. He was not violent.

RIP Frank. You'll be missed, my friend.

Rob / wx5rp

3. KC7VPT

KC7VPT Ham Member QRZ Page

My brother just called and told me the news.

I just tried to call him a few minutes before my brother called, I'm in complete shock and don't know what to say.

wow

4. KE7KRC

KE7KRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Frank Masure/ Stephanie Curtis

I knew Stephanie for nearly 5 years, during that I became quite fond of her.
    I also knew Frank, unfortunately I became aware of a Problem, frank had a
    tendancy to become highly agitated and sometimes physically aggressive.
    When I moved away from Oregon Frank became involved With Stephanie
    and extremely possessive to the extreme.. Jealousy, rage and his mental
    stae became unstable ,
    Whether you wish to believe it or not it doesn't matter, because the facts
    speak for themseves..
    On Monday , Sept 6,2010 Frank entered Stephanie's home, had an argument pulled a handgun murdered Stephanie and then turned the gun on himself.. He took a life, my dear friends life..

Last edited: Sep 12, 2010
  5. K2NCC

K2NCC Ham Member QRZ Page

well, if anyone comes along that knows of any family he had... who's taking care of his arrangements, etc. please drop me a line?

f

6. KC7VPT

KC7VPT Ham Member QRZ Page

I sent you a PM

7. AD7SX

AD7SX Ham Member QRZ Page

he has a brother listed in his mom's ob, maybe that will help.

Bennie J. Knight
    Vancouver
    Bennie Jane Knight, who enjoyed flower and vegetable gardening, died Sunday, Feb. 29, 2004, in Vancouver. She was 77.
    Mrs. Knight was a housekeeper for Red Lion Columbia River for 15 years. She had been named employee of the month and employee of the year.
    She was preceded in death by two husbands, Homer Masure in 1991 and Frank Knight in 1994.
    Mrs. Knight was born April 2, 1926, in Huntington, Ark., and lived in Vancouver the past 58 years.
    Survivors include two sons, Francis G. Masure and Jimmy G. Masure, both of Vancouver; and one grandchild.
    The casket will be open from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. today, Saturday and Sunday at Memorial Gardens Funeral Chapel. A funeral will begin at 12:30 p.m. Monday at the funeral chapel. Private burial will be in Evergreen Memorial Gardens Cemetery.
    Memorial contributions may be made to Meals on Wheels, attention Patty Krebs, P.O. Box 1995, Vancouver, WA 98668.

8. KE7UXR

KE7UXR Ham Member QRZ Page

Missing a friend

Well, I knew Frank only a short time, but he inspired me with his knowledge of RF radiators of all sorts and types, so much in fact that I had built my first homebrew quad for 2M after having my licence only a year. His wisdom and knowledge was a resource and will be missed greatly. While some people know Frank as a somewhat unstable individual, I know KA7CGG, the "Crazy Goofy Guy", his impressions of Marvin the Martian who operated under control operator, and the fun conversations of nothing and everything in good humor over the radio waves.
    Frank, what happened? You are my friend, and the friend of so many others. In our hobby, we are a family of people who like to talk and listen. You could have talked to us.
    But what's done is done. And the lost will be missed.
    Frank, I should have talked to you more. In a time when people nationwide are losing everything, we now know what real loss is. You will be missed.

KE7UXR

9. W7MAS

W7MAS Ham Member QRZ Page

Portland's friendly voice is Gone

Frank Masure was a GREAT Guy and a GREAT Friend.

I will always remember Frank as a very bright and sunny individual with a great sense of humor!!

We had many good meals together at our house and many fun times at the Native American PowWow, and rides up to Multnomah Falls, fun times at the Portland Hotcake House. Frank & Sandy spent many Christmas', Thanksgivings, Easter, and even St. Patrick's Day, but Frank let me know that Corned Beef & Cabbage was not his favorite.

I will miss Frank and wish that I had known what was going on in his life.

What a tragic loss for all.

Phoebe (yl de w7mas)

10. KA7ISH

KA7ISH Ham Member QRZ Page

Frank

Frank... a good friend, a wonderful person, a funny guy, you my friend, will be missed.
    As a ham for a little over a year, I got to know Frank. The first thing he did for me was help me get to know my radio better. Let me borrow a Yagi, and some coax. Lol. Helped me with simplex, and later after his late wife Sandy passed away, I had called him on the radio, and he had called me on my phone, and had pretty much confided in me as to what happened. A few weeks after that, Frank was nice enough to help my mother, and my mom helped him etc. He was nice to a lot of the people that I knew. He let me borrow antennas once and a while so I could mess with my radio. I liked the Handy Ham net. It was a good idea and a way for all of us "Handy ham's" to connect. I never saw this coming, heck I don't think anyone did. I never looked at Frank as that kind of person. It's very shocking to me, as well as the rest of us on the air. Mr. KA7CGG, now an S.K. Frank, you will be missed.

-SKWEEKI- KF7ENL

11. K7KTP

K7KTP Ham Member QRZ Page

Frank will be missed

Last night at Sheri's near Van Mall a gathering was held for Frank. About 30 Ham friends attended. Frank would have been pleased. ._. .. ._ _. my friend.
    Dick - K7KTP

12. N7GFK

N7GFK Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow.

Have not been active in the last week so just heard about this. Wow.
    Although I never had a face to face meeting with Frank, I did talk to him many times. Discussions of antennas, Handi-Hams, and dumb jokes was the norm. Always a perky and encouraging voice I often found on "8 4".
    Will miss my friend.

Randy N7GFK

13. KE7KRC

KE7KRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Frank Masure/ Stephanie Curtis

Frank was one of the first hams I ever spoke to. He helped me in many ways,like understanding my radio and how it worked. Frank also introduced me to other ham's on the net. He was a good friend, but he had serious
    emotional problems that he kept hidden to those of us on the radio.
    Truth is, taking a life is horrifying thing and that can't be undone.
    Stephanie was a mother of five and a grandmother to three little one's.
    We all say Frank will be missed , but who speaks for Stephanie and her
    family.. We should get to know our friends ,maybe even help when its
    needed. We all seem to overlook the real people behind the microphone.
    Maybe this could been avoided.. Don't be silent get involved, get to know
    your neighbor on the radio..

14. KD7KBR

KD7KBR Ham Member QRZ Page

WTF? Frank?

The very first time I grasped the mike of an old mobile rig and said my callsign in to it, the person who confirmed that my rig was working was KA7CGG. That was in 2000. A few years ago we met face to face at Pioneer courthouse square where he showed me how to program my Icom T2H. That's when I found out that he was blind. and now this. This has sort of hit my like a Hammer.
    Frank? our Frank? The guy who ran the Handiham net for many weeks?
    What the Eff could have made our Frank do such a thing? And the service has already taken place. Crap. Was there a burial so I can at least have a grave to visit? Anybody know which cemetery?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.