Frailty of consumer ego (what rig not to buy)

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KK4YWN, Nov 30, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
  1. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

If you wanna see true "UGLY," look at the Kenwood TS-480 or TS-2000! Now THAT is where the "ugly stick" lost, and got broken! :eek:

(At least the Ts-590 and TS-990 radios look like radios.:rolleyes:)

W4IOA likes this.
  2. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't think those are so much ugly as just weird looking (to me.) That sort of "swoopy" look seems to be in modern fashion for some things. I just find it odd - but they are fine radios. I wish Kenwood would catch up to Icom and Yaesu feature-wise because I've always really liked their gear. But yeah, personally, when they do I wouldn't mind a re-style too.

3. W4IOA

W4IOA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

With the last attempt using those as evidence do you really want them to attempt another restyle?:eek:

4. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Well...they have to get better, they can't get any worse....

5. AF7XT

AF7XT Ham Member QRZ Page

Bet ?

6. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Don’t tempt them

7. WF4W

WF4W XML Subscriber QRZ Page

when i use elecraft, i pretend i'm a late 80's soviet spy...

WD4IGX likes this.
  8. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Kenwood seems to have gone back to more "traditional" looks with the TS-590 and TS-990. I don't think the TS-990 is a laggard compared to Yaesu or ICOM in the same price range. My step-up from a TS-990 would be a Hilberling, not any of the Yaesu or ICOM rigs. (That is, if price were no object:rolleyes:.) Otherwise, I'm satisfied with my TS-570S(G) with added SSB filter.

9. W6UV

W6UV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The first time I saw a TS-2000 I thought it had been in a house fire and had partially melted.

WD4IGX likes this.