Frailty of consumer ego (what rig not to buy)

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KK4YWN, Nov 30, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
  1. W4IOA

W4IOA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I believe this thread title wins the 2017 thread title of 2017

2. KK6ZY

KK6ZY Ham Member QRZ Page

Well with a room full of Older American Made HF Gear, I don't worry about having the latest and greatest Japanese HF rig. So that leaves more brand spanking new gear for those who want the latest designed computer menu push button appliance operator radios...

I can work on my own equipment, and I don't need any factory authorized service center if something goes wrong.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After being licensed for over 40+ years now with an Advanced Class License, I do not feel the need to follow the trend of upgrading to one of the gee-whiz wonder radios!

Heck, I still run an Atlas 210X as my main mobile HF rig.

[​IMG]

WZ7U and AF7XT like this.
  3. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice pics. Thanks for sharing.

Reminded me, I still regret selling my Atlas 110 when I did (had to at the time). Fun little rig!

4. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

For the benefit of anyone else interested, the December newsletter is now available via the N3SH website, http://www.n3sh.org

5. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice Ron. Thankewe.

6. KI4ODO

KI4ODO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I use 20 year old radios with decent filters. I do not qualify for elite :D

7. WF4W

WF4W XML Subscriber QRZ Page

i really hope people realize i was joking...

I hear those arguments from Flex and Elecraft users. Whenever I talk to an elecraft 0wner and tell them I am a CW op, they're surprised i dont own an elecraft b/c it's a "cw op's dream rig" (im not sure why, Ive used them a few times and dont see any reason for that reputation)

8. KI4ODO

KI4ODO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well I tend to be a little on the slow side and I picked up on you joking right away lol

9. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

It's really SIMPLE. The best rig for me is the one that I BOUGHT! Certainly, there are probably better radios out there. (Hilberlings come to mind.) But in MY price range, I got (IMHO) the "best bang for the buck."

WD4IGX likes this.
  10. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Oh come on now, Elecraft are very expensive, but on the other hand they sure are ugly. :D

No offense intended REALLY, just joking, I know they are great radios performance wise. But they sure are proud of 'em as we say down here, and no I don't care for the look though that's a minor thing compared to the price.

There's no such thing as "the best" for everyone, or even for one fairly broad use like "CW" or "contesting."