Fox Hunt Lanyard for HTs

Discussion in 'Ham Made Gear' started by KC8JDA, Jan 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KC8JDA

KC8JDA Ham Member QRZ Page

These aren't officially for sale yet, but I wanted to share my creation and get some responses. I've recently taken up paracord knotting and have been mostly making survival bracelets, key fobs and knife lanyards. I use 550 Type III paracord made by the actual US Military vendor, so it's good stuff. It is 550 lb. test, mildew, mold, rot, moisture resistant. Anyhow, I was thinking of new projects I could do, and decided the skimpy factory-supplied lanyard for my VX-6R wasn't good enough. Since the diameter of most factory lanyards is smaller than that of the 550 paracord, for the core of the lanyard I used smaller Dacron antenna-hanging cord sourced through my dad, AD8T. Standard paracord is knotted around the outside. There is 5' of usable paracord on this lanyard, meaning, if you get into a pinch (antenna hanging rig breaks, you need a boot lace, you need to fashion a sling - anything) then you have this paracord at your disposal...in interest of keeping the thing portable and practical as a lanyard, I kept it at 5 feet. The lanyard inner portion is separate, so if you need to deploy the paracord for any reason, you still have your lanyard. It will just need re-knotted with fresh paracord!

Also included a mini compass at the end, hence the Fox Hunt Lanyard name. The lengthier part of the lanyard is detachable from the HT with a small nylon snap buckle closure. I made it long enough though that a compass reading could be taken while on the air, or with the HT on your belt buckle or backpack shoulder strap. Again, this is my first "prototype" - not sure what's next. Oh, here I've used Desert Camo paracord, but it could be done in any color...I figure the ARES folks would appreciate red or yellow, outdoors types might like woods camo or blaze orange...a lot of possibilities! Hope you all like it!

photo 1.JPG photo 2.JPG photo 3.JPG

2. WA4OAU

WA4OAU Ham Member QRZ Page

3. KB3WAP

KB3WAP Ham Member QRZ Page

hi,
    i am interested in this product too when you can sell these email me at:
    kb3wap@comcast.net

thanks and 73,
    Stephen

4. N0AZZ

N0AZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll be intrested in seeing a price also.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.