FOX HOUND OPERATION

Discussion in 'On-Air Operations - Q&A' started by WA4MIT, Oct 24, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. WA4MIT

WA4MIT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hello I have been a digital operator since the 80`s and the new FT modes are a real boon to ham radio in this down turn of the Solar Cycle. However before you jump into the FT modes you need to read and learn the proper way to use them. The frequencies and different modes require different operating procedures than you
    might be familiar with. The FT Fox Hound mode is a good example of this and the originators have provided
    a very good concise guide to help get anyone started. I just wanted to point out something here that is very wrong in the way some are using the F/H mode.
    When you and only when you are copying the Fox station the proper way to call is to use split operation and be above 1khz in the audio spectrum when you transmit. The Fox will always operation lower than 1khz and if you call the Fox on his transmit freq then you interfere with a station trying to answer the Fox station. This split procedure gives the Fox a clear listening freq for those he answers to respond without this type of interference. If the Fox station cannot copy then he will have to cease operation and nobody is able to work him. This is happening now with the VU7RI operation and he is not able to work many station because of it. Please be considerate of others and learn the new modes and have fun and be able to work the DX stations so everyone can work them. http://physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/wsjtx.html Scroll down near the bottom of page for the Documentation in several languages

Best 73 and thanks for reading hope to work you some time.
    Morris WA4MIT

KG5THG likes this.
  2. KG5THG

KG5THG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The strange thing about this dx operation is that almost nobody, at least on dxsummit, is spotting them on any mode. Maybe it's just because almost everyone except me has this dxcc. Either way, so few spots may say they may be having other problems. I do agree that way to many don't follow the dx operations instructions for f/h operation spelled out on their website.

3. WA4MIT

They do seem to have difficulties, heard VK`s trying to work them and getting no response. The other day lot of stations calling them and they seemed to only hear a few but there were still some calling them on low side possibly keeping them from hearing the answering stations. Thats just wrong. 73

4. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

Their web page is pretty clear,...... for those that "bother" to read before they Tx:rolleyes:

For FT8 Lovers:

I will try to work FT4/FT8 in F/H mode – something I have never done before.

so please bear with me!

I will TX on around 300 to 500hz Audio Spectrum with Fox mode enabled.

I expect others to be 1000hz and above which ever band I am working on!

They also state that calls NOT complying with the posted rules (both FT8/4 and all other modes too) will not be worked

So simple,even a caveman can do it;)

5. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

One thing I've never been quite sure of...when they 'bump' you down to a lower frequency how is that frequency selected? Is it random or has their software determined that its a clear spot?

6. WA4MIT

HI Bill if the DX station answers your call WSJTX will auto shift your TX to the DX stations TX freq and you alone will be there. With the DXpd mode the DX station may answer more than one station but each station will be on a ser This is why when we are calling the DX station our TX freq needs to be above the 1000 hz audio range. Now if we try to answer the DX station and someone is trying to call him on his freq our answer may be interfered with and not heard by the DX station. 73 Morris WA4MIT

7. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Right.
    But I have had situations where it didn't pull me to a transmit frequency but actually somewhere else.

8. WA4MIT

In file, settings, Radio under split operation do you have the radio or fake it checked if so you might try none. Some radios do not respond correctly to these and in my case I use none neither of my radios work correctly with either of those checked. 73 Morris WA4MIT

9. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Subscriber QRZ Page

Think this is Exactly WHY I didn't make the log on 160 last night!! I was scrambling to keep my TX sig ABOVE 1000HZ and didn't understand why it shifted my TX Freq down. Now I know just to let the program do what it wants and not 2nd guess it!!! Sure hope we have ONE MORE SHOT on 160 FT8!