Fox-1E... another AMSAT-NA failed satellite

Discussion in 'Satellite and Space Communications' started by WE4B, Jan 21, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. VA3DSZ

VA3DSZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Open Research Institute brought in $14,308.00 verses AMSAT's $533,946 for 2019. As not for profits, their financials are easily searched online. I don't see what you stand to gain by exaggerating?

2. N0ZGO

N0ZGO Ham Member QRZ Page

How many satellites has ORI designed and launched?

3. WE4B

WE4B Ham Member QRZ Page

You are wrong. Fact. I only post facts and not hyperbole with smoke and mirrors. In 2020, ORI received almost $600K in grants. In fact, they got a $500K grant from ARDC. AMSAT-NA doesn't solicit grant money. ORI does. Please do not claim that I am exaggerating when I only post what I can backup with, easily found, facts.

With that said, this thread is not to discuss how well ORI has done with fundraising, as compared to AMSAT-NA. It's about the latest spacecraft built by AMSAT-NA which is now in orbit and is not usable by members or stakeholders.

4. WE4B

WE4B Ham Member QRZ Page

None, yet... how many Phase 4 ground stations has AMSAT-NA built?

Once again, the constant smoke and mirrors in an attempt to derail this thread from discussion of the latest spacecraft, built by AMSAT-NA, that is inoperable is ridiculous. If you want to debate ORI vs AMSAT-NA, start please start another thread.

5. VA3DSZ

VA3DSZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Adding a fancy title to something is meaningless. Let's look at what ORI has defined as "Phase 4"...

• Our goal is to provide both designs and equipment for a radio that will operate with a 5GHz uplink and a 10GHz downlink.
    They are turning it into a business, likely going to end up being vendor locked in like many projects. As they specifically are aiming for their own hardware.

So if we'd like to use their satellite, we can't grab a commercial off the shelf product, we are stuck with them the same way Amateur radio is stuck with Pactor.

And no it's not built yet, just like their satellite. So they have not produced a deliverable.

Funny how those criticizing AMSAT, point to projects that are incomplete as a means of success. Yet when AMSAT reaches industry standard outcomes on CubeSat launches they need to resign.

K6LCS likes this.
  6. N5WTF

N5WTF Ham Member QRZ Page

YOU are the one that brought up ORI. I would venture a guess that the Co-founder of ORI that is also an AMSAT director is not looking out for AMSATs best interest rather than their own. :rolleyes:.

VA3DSZ and W5PFG like this.
  7. WE4B

WE4B Ham Member QRZ Page

Lots of smoke and mirrors to deflect from the fact that the third transponder in a row, launched by AMSAT-NA, isn’t functional.

Please start your own thread. I’ve asked several times yet a couple of you insist on attempting to deflect other smoke, mirrors and false information.

Legacy ‘leaders’ should immediately resign their posts due to not being able to fulfill their job requirements. It doesn’t matter that they are volunteers. They are not producing a viable product or service for members and stakeholders.

Members and stakeholders deserve communication and answers.

8. WE4B

WE4B Ham Member QRZ Page

If you are a member of the AMSAT-BB mailing list, you will see members asking pertinent questions about Fox-1E and you'll see members calling out the shills and speaking to how the legacy 'leadership' operates in a cliquish manner. All of these posts prove that I'm not the only one curious about Fox-1E and previous failures. As is typical with the AMSAT-NA, legacy 'leadership', there have been no direct answers... in fact, there have been no answers. Members and stakeholders of AMSAT-NA deserve so much better than this.

I don't care that AMSAT-NA is operated by volunteers. Elected volunteers made promises to members that they would properly operate the organization and, yet, they can't even answer questions posed by members and stakeholders. This is both sad and ridiculous.

Due to continued failures of AMSAT-NA orbital transponders and a lack of ethical leadership. I will continue to renew my call for these ineffective, AMSAT-NA 'leaders' to immediately resign. They are not acting as fiduciaries. They are not providing goods or services to benefit the membership and stakeholders. They refuse to be responsive and answer questions from members and stakeholders. Basically, these legacy, AMSAT-NA 'leaders' have gone into hiding and are using shills to spread disinformation and to use smoke and mirrors to deflect from any responsibility. These people are not leaders. I dare anyone to prove that they are leaders with real data and information. These people are simply subpar communicators and are doing nothing but further harming the organization. They need to resign, now.

9. N2ICZ

N2ICZ Ham Member QRZ Page

rams2D.jpg

All kidding aside, both sides have salient points. I sincerely wish for a "meeting of the minds" at some point.

KA9JLM likes this.
  10. WE4B

WE4B Ham Member QRZ Page

I’m here and my mind is open. In order for what you wish to happen, the AMSAT-NA legacy ‘leaders’ would need to communicate with members and stakeholders. They don’t do that so, at this point, it’s a moot point.