Foundations of Amateur Radio - Episode 95

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VK6FLAB, Mar 31, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. KE4YMX

KE4YMX Ham Member QRZ Page

when i'm operating QRP i also do not tell the Op that i'm running 5W at first,, if and when the conversation goes to the equip setup i will advise i'm running 5W using a dipole which typically is given a compliment, i humbly revert back with thanks for coming back to me and if they are using a beam i acknowledge they're helping me being heard. I do not call or reply /QRP when operating, however i do use /portable when i'm camping or /mobile when i'm in the car or /maritime when i'm on my sailboat as a way to inform the other Op i'm not at home. right or wrong not sure,, but it's common sense to me.

73 de fernando ke4ymx

WB3X likes this.
  2. KI8W

KI8W Ham Member QRZ Page

I still hear a lot of...

This is (callsign inserted here), for ID.

Uh, what else would you be using your call sign for?

KE4YMX, WB3X and AF4RK like this.
  3. KA4RUR

KA4RUR Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I can't speak for other countries -- But in the U S one or more indicators may be included with the call sign. Each indicator must be separated from the call
    sign by the slant mark (/) or by any suitable word that denotes the slant mark. (FCC 97.119(c) ) ....

4. AD0HT

AD0HT Ham Member QRZ Page

Why do other operators harass W2Nq /portable W7? Entertaining and occasionally annoying :). He tends to swear a bunch when he is on.......Fun to record these interactions. Caught a few funny snippets yesterday on 14.209.15.

5. N3KIP

N3KIP Ham Member QRZ Page

The UK does have rules about /P and /M, etc., and list the following suffixes under 'Notes' :-

/A = Alternative Address
    /P = Temporary Location
    /M = Mobile
    /MM = Maritime Mobile

However, the current rules require a pedestrian portable to sign as a /M. I am pretty sure nobody does this and they are all still signing /P, as required by an older set of rules. At any rate, if you are walking down the street, how can anyone argue that you are NOT at a Temporary Location? The latter would be /P anyway. There is no mention of /AM, only a prohibition on operating from an aircraft atall, but I believe it is possible to get a /AM permit to do this. Older rules required an amateur on a ship at anchor to sign /MA, but this disappeared from the rules, so I presume it is now also /MM? At any rate, operating /MM requires permission from the master of the vessel, usually the captain, although I suppose the radio officer is his deputy for this purpose. Vessels on inland (tidal) waterways have long been /M and not /MM. /A vanished from the rules at one time, but I see it is back. I think /A may only apply to a second location at an address that you have given the authorities, though, or at least that used to be the rule, so otherwise you would be /P.

No other suffixes appear in the rules. No /Bagel or /X or /QRP. Operating QRP from a Temporary Location is /P QRP, not /P/QRP, with a space, not a /.

Operating 'portable' in another country doesn't require a suffix in UK rules, or in international rules for that matter. If you have not actually been issued a callsign, you use a prefix, not a suffix, i.e. M0/(home call) if you have full licence privileges while visiting the UK. Even under US FCC rules, which allow either a prefix or a suffix, going with the prefix means you are actually obeying ITU (international) rules as well, i.e. W3/G8VUK is much better than G8VUK/W3 (but as I actually have a US call I must use that instead).

Apparently VK and the US are not so particular, but why not follow the UK as a guide? We are British, so you know we are correct to a fault!

73 de Alun, G8VUK, N3KIP

6. ON7BAS

ON7BAS Ham Member QRZ Page

The Belgian legislation implies that /A /P /M /MM must be used, but this is a police state (country) ;-) /QRP is optional.
    The definition of /P is not being powered by electric network, field days are /P.
    /P & /M dispenses the operator to log QSOs very useful on VHF/UHF.
    And there is no need to humble yourself because you use less power, or less expensive equipment / antennas. Hell no !
    Most QRPers also own QRO rigs and some QRP rigs are outrageously expensive.
    72 Yves

KE4YMX likes this.
  7. WB3X

WB3X Ham Member QRZ Page

In the past, in the US it actually WAS a legal requirement - if you were at other than your station license location a stroke with the callsign area (/3) or "mobile 3" was legally required. As was identification not less than every ten minutes and a written paper logbook available for inspection by an FCC field representative. ITs still useful today when W2FB is just as likely to be in San Diego as he is in Secaucus.

And operating under a reciprocal licensing arrangement dictated the country identifier. (WB3X/VP9 was activated more than a few times).

On a weekend where there is an organized event, or even in an operating situation where you are likely to be difficult to copy, what's wrong with signing /QRP?

None of the above is as silly as KC2EG for ID". If you weren't identifying yourself why give your callsign? And if you are, its pretty obvious what you're doing.

But I digress.

8. WB3X

WB3X Ham Member QRZ Page

BTW, the requirement affected your "authorized fixed station location" not a "base" station. Since I can't legally communicate with WB3X mobile (someone else driving) from "WB3X Base" the concept of a "base station" in meaningless n Ham Radio.

That came with CB in the 60s and early 70s. (They COULD do the above - it was their ENTIRE reason for existing - until the band became entirely unmanageable and unusable). Unfortunately in some cases, it never left.

9. KJ4RZZ

KJ4RZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Someone doesnt seem to understand the difference between "legally required" and "legal".

I can add /whateveriwant to my call sign as long as I identify with my call sign.

Am I required to? Nope. Can I? Yep.

10. VK6FLAB

VK6FLAB Ham Member QRZ Page

Update: The ACMA has clarified the use of an Amateur Advanced Club Station in writing and it is on our news this week - http://vk6.net/news/