ad: Alphaant-1

Foundations of Amateur Radio - Episode 95

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VK6FLAB, Mar 31, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. HA5AH

HA5AH Ham Member QRZ Page

The Belgian legislation implies that /A /P /M /MM must be used, but this is a police state (country) ;-) /QRP is optional.
    The definition of /P is not being powered by electric network, field days are /P.
    /P & /M dispenses the operator to log QSOs very useful on VHF/UHF.
    And there is no need to humble yourself because you use less power, or less expensive equipment / antennas. Hell no !
    Most QRPers also own QRO rigs and some QRP rigs are outrageously expensive.
    72 Yves

KE4YMX likes this.
  2. WB3X

WB3X Ham Member QRZ Page

In the past, in the US it actually WAS a legal requirement - if you were at other than your station license location a stroke with the callsign area (/3) or "mobile 3" was legally required. As was identification not less than every ten minutes and a written paper logbook available for inspection by an FCC field representative. ITs still useful today when W2FB is just as likely to be in San Diego as he is in Secaucus.

And operating under a reciprocal licensing arrangement dictated the country identifier. (WB3X/VP9 was activated more than a few times).

On a weekend where there is an organized event, or even in an operating situation where you are likely to be difficult to copy, what's wrong with signing /QRP?

None of the above is as silly as KC2EG for ID". If you weren't identifying yourself why give your callsign? And if you are, its pretty obvious what you're doing.

But I digress.

3. WB3X

WB3X Ham Member QRZ Page

BTW, the requirement affected your "authorized fixed station location" not a "base" station. Since I can't legally communicate with WB3X mobile (someone else driving) from "WB3X Base" the concept of a "base station" in meaningless n Ham Radio.

That came with CB in the 60s and early 70s. (They COULD do the above - it was their ENTIRE reason for existing - until the band became entirely unmanageable and unusable). Unfortunately in some cases, it never left.

PY2NEA likes this.
  4. KJ4RZZ

KJ4RZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Someone doesnt seem to understand the difference between "legally required" and "legal".

I can add /whateveriwant to my call sign as long as I identify with my call sign.

Am I required to? Nope. Can I? Yep.

5. VK6FLAB

VK6FLAB Ham Member QRZ Page

Update: The ACMA has clarified the use of an Amateur Advanced Club Station in writing and it is on our news this week - http://vk6.net/news/

6. WB3X

WB3X Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep. Even if its redundant, unnecessary, or just sounds dumb.