ad: M2Ant-1

Foundations of Amateur Radio - Episode 95

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VK6FLAB, Mar 31, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. VK6NO

VK6NO Ham Member QRZ Page

You ask us to keep it civil. What I said could be said in any Australian court and no judge would throw me into jail.

This man has the right to call us MORONS,BULLYS, LEMMINGS. CRETINS old age whingers in his podcasts and not once, I repeat not once did anyone say cease with the insults.

This man some of us believe has broken the law and this has been confirmed by one department but we will wait for the big boy to act soon.

He claims he is above the regulations or standards in everyday life but time will tell. Perhaps then and only then will he be told to get off his soapbox and shut up.

Gentlemen this problem is in AUSTRALIA and should not be posted on QRZ but it's the only place he can feed his stuff out to ham radio operators. Don't ask for more information as I agreed to keep other parties off QRZ until further discussions take place. VK6NO

2. OH2FFY

OH2FFY Ham Member QRZ Page

From what I have seen in yours and others responses over the last few weeks , , , he is probably right.
    If you have proof of any license terms violation take it up ONLY with the appropriate authorities and leave them to sort it out , not keep on following him around merely to ,, what I see , is simple harassment by a self appointed vigilante.

If you don't like his podcasts , don't listen to them , and go away , let it be. , but you choose not to.

VK6NO , on your QRZ profile at the bottom of the page you have written.
    ''Any good that we can do , or any kindness that we can show to any living thing - let us do it now.''

You sir , are a hypocrite , and its perhaps better to sort your own attitude out first , before trying to fix the rest of our us , and our problems.

gregW:) OH2FFY

KX4CC likes this.
  3. 2E0XET

2E0XET Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes go for it! and a fantastic little radio besides. best wishes and enjoy. Wish I'd had the skill to build mine .. John M6KET

4. HA5AH

HA5AH Ham Member QRZ Page

I only use home made QRP CW (5 Watt) only on 40 m and always use /QRP and sometimes /MM/QRP .
    Now go back watching your waterfall...

5. VK6FLAB

VK6FLAB Ham Member QRZ Page

Lindsay,

It has been suggested to me that I should not respond to your posts. It is clear that we have different views on Amateur Radio and contributions made to the hobby and its community.

Until today I have not responded to your posts because I didn't feel that I had anything to contribute to the dialog. On other threads on this website the NewsWest team have extended an invitation to you to put your thoughts about Amateur Radio into a soapbox segment for the news.

http://www.vk6.net/announcements/posts/20170323-soapbox-haveyoursay

The podcast that I produce every week, now 300 odd episodes since May of 2011, is included in the weekly VK6WIA news and on occasion also in the VK1WIA national news as well as on other podcasts and news broadcasts. It has nothing to do with the team at NewsWest and is not their responsibility in any way.

While I also happen to be a member of the NewsWest team where I produce and present other content, the "Foundations of Amateur Radio" podcast is a separate thing.

The team is unimpressed with your posturing about "Fake News" and based on our audience, feedback and website visits, I can only conclude that you are mis-informed.

However, the soapbox is available to you and any amateur.

If on the other-hand you have a specific grievance with content that I have produced, I would welcome constructive feedback and will consider such messages.

I acknowledge receipt of an email relating to my use of the word "Moron" in "What use is an F-call?" produced on 14 December 2014. In that episode I was referring to an Amateur who has taken upon himself to interfere with the running of a weekly net that encourages new amateurs to make their first QSO. I am not a psychologist, nor do I have any health degree and my use of the term was colloquial and not medical. I will not edit existing podcasts, nor will I erase history, but your email had the effect that I refrained from using such language. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

I do not believe I've ever used the word cretin.

As for the word Lemming, which I note was part of the NewsWest broadcast, it was in relation to a National News Broadcast, in which an Amateur referred to people on Social Media as Lemmings in a rant about how Social Media had exposed invalid proxy forms for the WIA Annual General Meeting, which ultimately resulted in the WIA publishing 4 different versions of this form whilst attempting to ignore its own constitution.

http://www.wia.org.au/members/broadcast/wianews/display.php?file_id=wianews-2017-03-05

The NewsWest team was part of that discussion, as were many other people, and we felt that it was appropriate to draw attention to the WIA news broadcast by replacing the word NewsWest and Amateur randomly throughout the broadcast with the word Lemming.

Finally, the attacks about usage of the VK6ARN callsign by myself and Glynn VK6PAW, a Foundation and Standard call respectively without supervision by an Advanced Amateur appears to be based on an unclear understanding of the operation of a club station. VK6ARN is owned by WA Amateur Radio News (Inc.), where I am the treasurer and Glynn is the secretary. We gave ourselves permission - as the owner - to operate the call sign before and during the recent John Moyle Memorial Field Day.

We operated within the constraints of the documentation here:

http://www.acma.gov.au/Industry/Spe...ratus-licence-information-paper#Club_Stations

In that we stayed within the bounds "that equates to the qualifications held by the operator of the station", namely Glynn VK6PAW who holds a Standard License. We operated with less than 100 Watts, on battery, on bands allowed by a Standard Licensee and logged all contacts - and submitted those logs to the contest manager.

I debated about sending this email to you privately, but since you have taken it upon yourself to discuss this in public, I'm using your metric of civility.

So, again, I would welcome constructive feedback and will consider such messages and the NewsWest team would be happy to receive your soapbox submission.

Kind regards,
    73, Onno de VK6FLAB

OH2FFY likes this.
  6. KQ6XA

KQ6XA Ham Member QRZ Page

What defines /Mobile and /Portable for HF ham radio?

Traditionally, ham operators have used /Mobile for a station that is designed to be easily operated while in motion. A typical example of /Mobile is a transceiver mounted in a car with a whip antenna.

/Portable is a station that can be carried around, but it is not being operated while in motion. A typical example of /Portable, is a transceiver set up on a table with an antenna supported by a tree or pole.

But, with the new HF backpack and lightweight transceivers, when is it /Pedestrian Mobile -vs- /Backpack Portable, etc?

Here are a few common callsign suffixes used by HFpackers:

• /P = Portable
    • /BP = Backpack Portable
    • /PM = Pedestrian Mobile
    • /M = Mobile
    • /MM = Maritime Mobile or Marine Mobile
    • /AM = Aeronautical Mobile or Air Mobile
    • /BM = Bike Mobile
    • /HM = Horseback Mobile (or pack animal)
    • /KM = Kayak Mobile (or canoe)
    • /HPM= Human-Powered Mobile
    • /WM = Wheelchair Mobile (may also use /PM)
    • /SM = Snowshoe, Ski, Skate, or Scooter Mobile

Some FAQs... and a more direct answer to the question:
    "When is it Pedestrian Mobile or Backpack Portable?"

/PM = Pedestrian Mobile?

HF transceiving system carried by the operator while walking and
    continuously operable while walking (AKA: Backpack mobile).
    Usually battery-powered. Able to move about freely while
    transmitting. Typically uses a whip antenna mounted on the backpack,
    but other types of antennas may be used if they are supported
    entirely by the operator, whether walking, sitting, or standing.
    No mechanical or electrical connection to fixed objects, but
    dragging a wire along as a counterpose is OK.

/PM = Walking Portable (a form of Pedestrian Mobile) ?

HF transceiving system carried by the operator but mainly operable
    while stopped, standing, sitting, etc. No connections to stationary
    objects such as trees. Usually battery-powered. Possibly
    holding an antenna mast up by hand, while the base of the mast is
    resting on the ground. It is Pedestrian Mobile if it may be moved
    around while actively in operation, although it may not be
    easy operate continuously in motion for long distances.

/BP = Backpack Portable or Bike Portable?

HF transceiving system completely carried to the operating site
    by the operator on foot or by bicycle. Usually battery-powered.
    Antennas can be set up in trees, or tripods, or attached to other
    stationary objects, but if fixed objects are used, it doesn't
    qualify as /Pedestrian Mobile or /Bike Mobile.

/BM = Bike Mobile?

HF transceiving system on a human-powered mobile: such as bicycle,
    tricycle, quadracycle, cart, wagon, or other wheeled vehicle;
    that is operable while in motion. Includes all types of /Human
    Powered Mobile. Usually battery-powered. Able to move about
    freely while transmitting. Excludes stations with mechanical or
    electrical connections to fixed objects, such as an antenna in
    a tree, because it would then be /Bike Portable instead of /Bike Mobile.

/P = Portable?

HF transceiving system carried by any method, and set up at a location
    that is not the normal home station QTH. Usually with AC mains power,
    generator, or battery power.
    Another variation of /Portable is the "Picnic Table Portable", which
    is usually driving to a park or outdoor location and setting up a
    temporary antenna and transceiver with a battery pack or car battery.
    Yet another variation is the /Field Day Portable: Bring along an AC
    gas generator and a 100W transceiver (or a kiloWatt). Set up a table,
    some chairs, a tent, a tribander on a tower, or a dipole in trees.

/MM = Maritime Mobile or Marine Mobile?

Maritime Mobile is usually operation on a ship, boat, or watercraft
    on the ocean (or waterways connected to the ocean). Also,
    technically, when operating under "Maritime" regulations, or
    in international waters.
    Marine Mobile is usually operation on a ship, boat, or watercraft
    within inland lakes, rivers, and waterways. Also, technically, when
    operating the boat or ship under local regulations, not Maritime
    regulations, not international waters.

A rowboat may be both /MM and /Human Powered Mobile :)

VK6FLAB likes this.
  7. VK6FLAB

What if I'm eating a bagel while rowing? /MM/Human/Bagel

OH2FFY and KQ6XA like this.
  8. KQ6XA

No, never use multiple suffix / slash strokes!
    A rowing while bagel eating operator would likely use /MMB , both because of brevity, and because hams love confusing initialisms even more than NASA does.
    In some countries, rowing while distracted (operating a vehicle while distracted) is illegal, so that's another good reason to use a secret initialism: to avoid penalties and fines.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
    VK6FLAB likes this.
  9. VK6FLAB

You wouldn't be implying that hams like complicating things now would you?

Also, just for clarification purposes. If I used a man-made-boomerang to erect my antenna, how should I sign, since /MMB is already taken for when I'm eating a bagel while rowing a boat operating my radio?

Also, is the order important? Does my suffix change if I start eating the bagel before I get into the boat, compared to after getting into the boat?

KQ6XA likes this.
  10. KQ6XA

No, no, no.
    The correct terminology these days is "human-made boomerang" not "man-made-boomerang"!
    You would not use any slash/stroke suffixes for that purpose, because it would spoil the QSO surprise. It would steal your thunder!

Antenna naming is a whole different subject in ham radio!
    Your equipment brag in the QSO would certainly emphasize the fact that you are using a Boomerang-Lifted Antenna or BLA.
    That may perhaps be confused with Balloon-Lifted Antenna (BLA), but sometimes initialisms are regional or must be used in context. For example, every ham who works an aussie station would assume from the beginning of the QSO that they are using a Boomerang-Lifted Antenna.

11. VK6FLAB

Ah, I get it, so it's about where the radio is?

So having my station in a tree house on an island in a lake on an island would be a /thiotaiota and if it's portable, I would add a p, /pthiotaiota?

Sorry, forgot to ask, is the suffix different if I'm climbing, or if I'm just sitting in the tree?

KQ6XA likes this.
  12. KQ6XA

It is recommended to keep the number of suffix slash/stroke initialism alphanumerics below 4 characters. That adds to the mystery, and begs the question. Those who already know what the initialism means, will always show that they know; those that don't know will sometimes ask or else be silently embarrassed at not knowing.

A few ancillary objectives of suffix slash/stroke initialism:
    • Brevity
    • Entice contact
    • Fascinate
    • Show off uniqueness
    • Confuse the unworthy
    • Obfuscate
    • Attract tribe members
    • Seek accolades and awards

13. VK6FLAB

Ooh, so, I can operate my station from a bedroom at the rear of the house in the dark while eating a guava and sign /BRAG?

I could get extra points for talking while chewing and logging without dripping.

OH2FFY likes this.
  14. VK6NO

VK6NO Ham Member QRZ Page

Good morning Onno and others,
    Thank you for replying to your podcast and my comments. Firstly I understand you did not use the word Cretin but the word Lemming. I showed the meaning of the word Lemming as it was put and it clearly shows as being an insult to all VK6 Hams and I quote." 20170312 - VK5 Welcomes Lemmings to Handorf in May" Hahndorf is actually the proper spelling as I used to reside there long long ago.

"Moron" Thank you for acknowledging its misuse but if you had replied on the 31/10/2016 you would have never heard from me again. Funny how life changes things when people ignore insulting phrases but Oh well its cool now.

The content of this podcast you have produced is a rehash of another podcast so it is obvious you are not happy with certain rules, procedures and regulations so it is plain to me you really are intent on changing the rules and regulations of AR or you wouldn't bring it up again. Please refer to podcast 01/05/2016

The use of VK6ARN became a disputed area as you were asked on route "How did you get around the regulations Onno" and refused to answer this question. Club Stations are issued normally as Advanced licences to a specific address i.e. the known location of the club. In this case the known address is in Bull Creek where an advanced call resides. This question was raised with ACMA as to who held the licence by mail and they have responded by phone but it is still being investigated so I failed to get an answer on this day. I am still waiting for the full report from ACMA regarding this matter and now others as raised on here so we must be patient on this. It was also raised with the WIA and their response is in quotes.

"Dear Lindsay

The WIA view is that there must be an advanced licensee present to supervise during operations with an advanced licence callsign even if Foundation Licensee operator is operating within their licence conditions. This applies whether this is a club station, or an ordinary station the same requirements for supervision under the LCD apply.

Regards

Bruce

WIA Office"

This statement is from one of our governing bodies, the Institute that has the power to teach, arrange examinations, recommend certain licenses should be issued or not and to negotiate on behalf of all operators and not just its members. Am I so wrong in listening to a body that has this power.

In regards everything Onno you were given the opportunity to respond by private email but as you say, chose not to. This should have been resolved in a peaceful manner if you had taken this option in the first place and not on the world stage.

I did resend my email addressed to Newswest to another address and was answered with the chance to chat on the phone and I agreed in principle to nearly everything the gentlemen presented and this should have put us on the road to open and meaningful discussions, but you chose to lock the podcast to keep further comments out. Can I ask why?

This could go on forever Onno so I will say I am open to all discussions that will lead to a peaceful solution but I say here and now in front of all hams I will never agree to any changes to the LCD or its taught operating procedures on the whim of one persons say so, as long as I shall live. If ACMA or the WIA tell me things are a changing I will immediately obey their instructions as it is the law and the only other exception would be if it is the wishes of the entire amateur fraternity.

Regards

Lindsay VK6NO

VK6APZ/SK2022 and VK6NSB like this.
  15. N2RGA

N2RGA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I posted that I have a amatuer Radio Directory and I was told it doesn't belong in the news feed well it was news that would help other amateurs list their web site. So yes If mine can not belong here there this opinion thread doesn't either