ad: elecraft

Foundations of Amateur Radio - Episode 94

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VK6FLAB, Mar 25, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. OH2FFY

OH2FFY Ham Member QRZ Page

What most Hams think is experimenting , is just playing around.

Definition of experiment

1. 1a : an operation or procedure carried out under controlled conditions in order to discover an unknown effect or law, to test or establish a hypothesis, or to illustrate a known law.

Of all the Hams that I have ever met , I have only known a few that actually do experiments ,, most are just dicking around and use the word experiment , basically to make them feel more smarter than what they are.

Experiments use the scientific method to test a hypothesis or to prove a known fact.
    This is done in a controlled environment to eliminate variables , and base lines are created by which to accurately measure and verify changes.
    From the measured changes a result is determined , and this determination is used to formulate a solid theory as the to effects discovered.
    Experiments like this could be repeated again by others with the EXACT same results found.

Some guy throwing a wire into a tree , is NOT an antenna experimenter.

gregW:) OH2FFY

2. MM0XXW

MM0XXW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hat off to you Aaron, well said sir!

KB8AMZ and KK4HPY like this.
  3. AA6GA

AA6GA Ham Member QRZ Page

The person who sends with QRP is not the one who must strain to copy.

Poor antennas might have a good excuse (HOAs, etc). But there is rarely a good excuse for QRP when conditions are so poor we need all the QRO we can get.

-Don- Reno, NV

4. K2FI

K2FI Ham Member QRZ Page

Dunno about that. I operate out in the field all the time and I prefer to do it not near my car. No home shack at all.

Lugging the bigger radio and battery has a weight cost.

5. AA6GA

AA6GA Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, that sounds like a good reason too. I was speaking of those who run QRP for no reason other than doing it.

I used to enjoy portable operation myself. I converted a CB 5 watt portable to ten meters AM and worked Alaska (QSL confirmed) direct from the portable with the built-in antenna. That was my very first QSO on it. But those were in the days when the band conditions were a lot better than these days.

-Don- Reno, NV

AD5KO likes this.
  6. KB8AMZ

KB8AMZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I think I comprehend your explanation. So, if the procedure is not done by a scientist using a set order of rules, hypothesis, or algorithm then they're just "dicking around". NOTED!

VK6APZ/SK2022 and AD5KO like this.
  7. KB8AMZ

Then why does the operator on the other end give an RST 599 then ask 5 times for me to repeat what I sent them? They never mention QSB, QRM, QRM just resend AA.

8. OH2FFY

OH2FFY Ham Member QRZ Page

Not quite , a person doesn't need to be a scientist.
    If an experiment isn't done in a scientific manner , then Yes , it is just Dicking around.

Thank goodness the educated people in our community that conduct experiments in the sciences and in medicine have the correct understanding of what an experiment is , and how it is carried out.

Sadly , many Hams can't tell the difference , but use the word 'experiment' because it sounds much more impressive to their peers than Dicking around does.

I build things , and try things all the time , but I rarely use any accurate methods to determine the amount of change - that means , I am not conducting an experiment.

gregW:) OH2FFY

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
    AD5KO likes this.
  9. KB8AMZ

This is such an insignificant debate topic. Experiment, Dick around, test, whatever. Just have fun doing it. I will excuse the grammarian police and enjoy the information. Have a nice day. :)

VK6APZ/SK2022 likes this.
  10. NN6EE

NN6EE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Not if THE ANTENNA isn't any good!!! "Been there, DONE IT!!!" :)

AD5KO and VK6APZ/SK2022 like this.
  11. NN6EE

NN6EE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

12. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Just when you thought this thread was dead...

...Zed's dead; not the thread (language warning)...

...okay, Jed?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 21, 2018