Foundations of Amateur Radio - Episode 94

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VK6FLAB, Mar 25, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. G8ADD

G8ADD Ham Member QRZ Page

Running QRO is more like dropping a stick of dynamite into a trout stream, running QRP is like dry fly fishing!

(Just kidding!)

Brian

W4SEX, KF4ZKU, AD5KO and 2 others like this.
  2. KT4EP

KT4EP Subscriber QRZ Page

3. KT4EP

KT4EP Subscriber QRZ Page

"I even see it in my local club. You mention QRP and you will get 20 people saying "Life is too short for QRP" and they smile and grin like they put the QRP guy in his place and that one phrase has corrected corrected his way of life. "
    It happened to me when I gave a presentation at my club and mentioned I worked almost 100 pct digital JT65 & psk31

AD5KO and WA2DZO like this.
  4. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

No Brian,

I know SOTA well. Wanna see the flag:)? I've done SOTA from Mt Washington. QRP. Wanna know who heard us? NU5DE. Look'em up. It was less than an inspiring operation contact wise.

The sky is indeed green during a Green Flash.

QRP is nothing but a morass of frustration in poor conditions.

We now have poor conditions. In fact RIGHT NOW we have a mini CARRINGTON event happening. Turn on those QRP machines folks! Your RX will be putting out more power than the TX!

Grrrrrind!!

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
  5. G8ADD

G8ADD Ham Member QRZ Page

A mini Carrington event? I guess you deserve credit for an advanced capability in the field of hyperbole!

I'm sorry to hear that, it must have been quite dispiriting. I've had a couple of activations that I failed to qualify, going out when Kp was high and the summit too remote for falling back on 2 metres FM, but other times I get 20-odd contacts so I guess it balances out in the end. You have a flag? I never got one, these islands are too windy so a flag is a hostage to fortune!

Brian

AD5KO and M0REU like this.
  6. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Chip: Welcome to the human race, mortality, and humble. Now, if you'd please, stop peeing in everyone else's corn flakes. Thank you. QRP 73'ses, Jeff

W4SEX, VK6FLAB and AD5KO like this.
  7. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Tell you what: in these days of dire conditions, why not agree to start on QRP, then when contact is impossible, switch to QRO.

Chip W1YW

KC3EPI likes this.
  8. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Nah.

I am an astrophysicist. HUGE belches from the sun now happening and hitting us.. GO look it up. A=54.

9. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

QRP JT65 is rapidly becoming impractical on HF (MF , yes) and powers of 100 watts will become the norm in the next couple of years.

Life IS too short for QRP--when conditions dictate higher ERP's for successful contacts.

10. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

NOTE: A=54 is a MAJOR planetary inde c Ap event....