ad: Halibut-1

Foundations of Amateur Radio - Episode 93

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VK6FLAB, Mar 17, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. VK6FLAB

VK6FLAB Ham Member QRZ Page

foundations-of-amateur-radio.png
    What does a resistor have to do with a stick?

Commonly the size of a grain of rice with pretty colours, a resistor is a regular item in many electrical devices. This week in Foundations of Amateur Radio I take a look at how ice-cubes, electrons, sticks and resistors describe what is going on inside an electrical circuit without once using a joule, a coulomb or more familiar terms like Volt, Ampere and Ohm.

Amateur Radio is a fascinating hobby that covers many aspects of life. Foundations of Amateur Radio is a weekly podcast that looks into this exciting field that throws up new challenges for beginners and old hands alike.

You can listen to this weekly podcast on-air, on-line or on-demand. Check out the website at http://podcasts.itmaze.com.au/, subscribe via iTunes by searching for my callsign, VK6FLAB, or click the link to download your very own copy of this week's episode.

http://podcasts.itmaze.com.au/foundations/20170319.foundations-of-amateur-radio.mp3

Onno VK6FLAB
    Perth, Western Australia

IX1FIT likes this.
  2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

RE: Title of this 'News'

Jeez...I hate to ask, and won't...

VK6NO likes this.
  3. VK6NO

VK6NO Ham Member QRZ Page

I have to ask about this description of a RESISTOR before I dispose of all my learning books, computer etc to the rubbish bin tomorrow.

I have already thrown out all my big resistors as it is obvious they have no value at all. The linear amp no longer works as the resistors in there are definitely way to big and the little ones keep going bang.

A quick look on Google brought up 29,800,00 search pages and that's just too many for this old bloke to browse so I'm doomed.

On QRZ News we have people thinking it may be right or no comment either way so I am left with not many options. "
    Jeez...I hate to ask, and won't... " is the only data I can observe so it's back to study again for this old ham unless someone can put up some constructive web pages.

Soon so many components I know will show up that the old people from years ago described but alas I know all these too will have to be reinterpreted for me. If the STICK theory is 100% accurate please let me know where I find it as I have to get the radios, amp etc working again.

THIS IS URGENT. Thanks VK6NO

4. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Beware of too much flab;-)

5. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

...and conflabration

6. VK6APZ/SK2022

VK6APZ/SK2022 Ham Member QRZ Page

Let me help those that haven't got a clue.

Attached Files:

7. VK6APZ/SK2022

VK6APZ/SK2022 Ham Member QRZ Page

Resistor picture, they come in all shapes and sizes, i have been collecting them since 1978 .

Attached Files:

8. VK6NSB

VK6NSB Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll have to throw the big box of big carbon ones I brought away and buy small ones

9. VK6NSB

VK6NSB Ham Member QRZ Page

amrg.jpg

NO COLOURED LINES HERE AND IT IS A RESISTOR

10. W8YIH

W8YIH Ham Member QRZ Page

Great podcasts really outclassing many that I've tried so far in every aspect.

Clever, witty narrative, presenting key elements of the subject in a quick, condensed form of short but coherent and professional "sound bites".
    Personal insight/touch to many stories.
    Broadcast class of audio quality, presentation and narrative.
    In every episode audio has same and proper audio level, compression and dynamic range appropriate for speech which makes it easy to listen to in a noisy environment/vehicle without need to constantly adjust volume level (some other podcasters and many of us hams should listen to the episode titled "How to properly use a mike").
    No advertisements or sponsored articles.

I am really happy I have tried it and downloaded many more for future off-line listening.
    Definitely very informative and enjoyable listening for anyone experimenting with ham radio or thinking of it.

Thank you for your time and a great job and service to our community!
    See you on the bands Onno!

73 Sylvester

W8CON, OH2FFY and VK6FLAB like this.