ad: Mountaingoat-1

Foundations of Amateur Radio - Episode 87

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VK6FLAB, Feb 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. VK6NO

VK6NO Ham Member QRZ Page

Never would I take offence at your comments Marco as you are a ham just like me and we both have freedom of speech and like you, I am really the "Bugger from the bush".
    I understand all the things that you experience when help is so far away etc. I now live in the city but from the time I arrived here I have suffered health wise with the ups and down of this hectic life.
    Yes I hope we chat on air one day to pass on to each other the things you have done, learnt etc and we can compare our experiences. Cheers from VK6NO.

2. VK2YES

VK2YES Ham Member QRZ Page

I hope you recover soon. I am also struggling in the big city's and prefere bushlife, cheers marco

3. WJ1MK

WJ1MK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Don't exactly know how many were sold but the KENBAK-1 was first introduced for $750 (US) back in 1971 as the 1st personal computer...That was 46 years ago...Hope I was of some help ;-)

4. VK6NO

VK6NO Ham Member QRZ Page

[Q

I thank you for that information on the computer. I immediately Googled it and was knocked off my feet seeing that and others that have been built. Not many made and if it's in the shack now be worth a fortune. I've learned something today and that is what it's all about. Cheers

UOTE="K2MIJ, post: 4142533, member: 581795"]Don't exactly know how many were sold but the KENBAK-1 was first introduced for $750 (US) back in 1971 as the 1st personal computer...That was 46 years ago...Hope I was of some help ;-)[/QUOTE]

5. K1SCE

K1SCE Ham Member QRZ Page

Hay guys, why not join CAP, it loads of fun. I've been a member since I was 16 yrs old, (now over 70). I flew many search missions and participated in practice missions. You get to work with kids. I would mod all the radios for CAP, hf, uhf and vhf. We had 6.xxx mhz for hf, 148.xx mhz for vhf, and 460.xx (state police simplex), all legal.
    Most of the kids loved to fly and use radios. Each state was assigned a proword and a 2 or 3 number. We were Pico xxx. So go ahead and Join CAP (or MARS), and you will be legal. Most dealers will modify your radio if you have a CAP (MARS) license.

I'm new to the Chinese radios but I always thought the radios had to be blocked from CAP and Mars unless you had a license. I've never seen a Japanese radio that would go out of band without a mod.

KZ6TOD likes this.
  6. W7XLR

W7XLR Ham Member QRZ Page

I used to mod my radios when I was young for the heck of it, now I don't unless I can lock out Transmit on those bands! Why? Because I have heard too many stolen radios over the years on the Ham bands. Everybody thinks theirs will never get stolen, yet they do get stolen. Now it's bad enough when a criminal steals a rig and listens too and transmits on a Ham band. Now you got a criminal who can listen to the Police and/or try to jam any frequencies outside the Ham bands you may have programed in. That's why I don't do mine anymore, except when I can lock out Transmit...

7. WO2E

WO2E Ham Member QRZ Page

this is a dying hobby, why so much attention on mars mod? the hobby have lots of other issues to worry about. we have idiots all over the place with ham tickets.
    we have NETS all over the place that serve no useful purpose. we have guys setting up their audio to be as wide as possible taking up much spectrum. we have guys with huge amount of illegal power. the list of BS goes on. mars cap is not illegal. other legal ham are messing up ham bands. point the finger to that or get a life.

N8VIL and W4HM like this.
  8. W7TUG

W7TUG Ham Member QRZ Page

My radios were modified (opened up) because I was a Navy/MC MARS operator. Of coarse the Navy Mars program is no longer. I still have the same HF/VHF capabilities as I want to keep my gear so it is up to me to be a responsible and law abiding amateur radio operator.
    Would I use all of the radios capabilities in a disaster/survival situation? You bet I would.

9. AE7XG

AE7XG Ham Member QRZ Page

Very well said. It sounds to me that you can also control YOUR radio without any help. Good on you.
    Dave AE7XG

10. W3RXO

W3RXO Ham Member QRZ Page

That's the way I understood it to be. But, it seemed as though everyone has differing ideas on the subject, so I thought I ought to ask, for some clarification.

11. KA1BSZ

KA1BSZ Ham Member QRZ Page

this goes back to the days where we used to modify ft 101,tempo 1's and other ham rigs for 11 meters!

12. AA4MB

AA4MB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm late to the party, but the QRZ forums never fail to entertain - misinformation and kneejerk reactions abound here. I was sitting here actually laughing out loud at some of the incorrect, half-baked responses. I did read one that made a modicum of sense, but needs to be put in perspective. There was a respondent early on who was concerned about all of the cheap Chinese radios flooding the market. I believe the comment was in relation to what would happen when the number of cheap radios capable of transmitting on ham bands (or wherever) reached "critical mass" - then anarchy and chaos would presumably reign on the ham bands.

I submit that 'critical mass' has already been reached as far as how many of those things have been sold. I have no way of even guessing how many Wouxun or Baofeng handhelds have been sold, but surely it has to be in the hundreds of thousands in the U.S. alone. I realize it's an exaggeration, but it seems as if every Technician that I know licensed since 2005 or so has one for every room of their house. Why, the 2 meter band should be absolutely kicking with activity ... and the illegal and unlicensed users causing corresponding QRM all over the ham bands, public service and everywhere else! The 'problem' (as far as ham activity goes) is ... it hasn't happened. Locally, 2 meters is an absolute desolate wasteland where I live. (metropolitan area of just over a million persons) One hardly hears a kerchunk on a repeater any longer. Ditto with unlicensed and illegal use of 2 meter frequencies. Heck, maybe it would be a good thing if we had some unlicensed activity. It would give us local hams a task, something to DO - DF and track down the offenders and then try and convince them to get their Technician ticket so they could get on ham frequencies and talk to ... well, nobody. Sorry, but soccer moms have their little ones already equipped with cell phones when they are still in single digit years. They aren't flocking to buy Baofeng UV-5R transceivers and learning how to program them (and lockout the keypad so Junior can't inadvertently change frequencies). No, Junior has already eclipsed the need for something like that by using his own personal voice communication and digital texting device, bestowed upon him sometime immediately subsequent to him being weaned off the bottle.

For US hams: NO, it's not illegal nor, I would submit, immoral for you to clip a diode and enable your radio to transmit out of band as long as you don't actually do it. I love, love, love the comments as to how a radio somehow has cooties or is devalued by having the mod done, too. (but apparently only if someone isn't qualified or certified to clip said diode) I've purchased quite a few used HF transceivers off of eBay the last decade or so. Only one of them was NOT already modified for out of band transmit. I'm pleased to report that, strangely, their operation on ham bands has not been affected and I have also not awakened in an Ambien induced stupor and gone on a wild binge in the wee hours of the morning, QRMing long range Air Force SSB comms or hobknobbing with the truckers on a nearby interstate, either!

VK6FLAB likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.