ad: Radclub22-1

Foundations of Amateur Radio - Episode 87

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VK6FLAB, Feb 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. K4JDH

K4JDH Ham Member QRZ Page

Sometimes things just happen. Alinco makes two versions of the DJ-500, standard amateur and commercial "T". Distributors can get the two switched at the warehouse.
    I discovered this while reading the manual. A phone call soon followed.:eek:

2. AJ4EM

AJ4EM Ham Member QRZ Page

so if you're skilled and knowledgeable enough to build a radio, does that mean you are illegal? What's stopping you from building one that can transmit where you're not licensed?

Stop and think about what you're saying guys, if it's the transmitting and not the owning that's illegal, then just say that. No need to tell an untruth to scare somebody.

3. K4NWJ

K4NWJ Ham Member QRZ Page

For the Americans that have responded with less than stellar criticism, y'all did take notice that the originating author is from Australia?

4. KJ6SVS

KJ6SVS Ham Member QRZ Page

There was a recent news article here in California, where a citizen witnessed a sheriff officer in a collision. He attended to the officer, and used the officer's motorcycle radio without a licence to request help. He commended for his actions, and personally thanked by the officer.

By the way, here in the US, the MARS/CAP program is alive an well. For instance, the USAF website for information is https://afmars-msn.org/joinmars.php, and requires 12 hours of service per quarter year. CAP is http://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/how_to_join/adults_faq/.

5. W4HM

W4HM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

To many American hams just feel the need to argue no matter the subject, to much cranium inserted in the anium. QRZ.com seems to be the place to be to piss and moan constantly.

When I owned an Icom IC-756 Pro 2 I had to do the MARS mod in order to use it on 60 meters. I also had to do the MARS mod on my Icom IC-756 Pro 3 to operate on the new 60 meter band frequency of 5357 kHz.

I now own an Icom IC-7410 and IC-7600 but there is no need to do the MARS mod on these rigs as I'm no longer in MARS.

N4AXE likes this.
  6. N8VIL

N8VIL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't think it matters if you have a radio in your possession that transmits out of band. If you stay in the band that you are supposed to use and are responsible, I don't see the issue. I have a lot of items in my possession that could be used irresponsibly, knives, saws, guns, baseball bats and clubs. But I don't because I am responsible. Probably a bad analogy but my two worthless cents.

N4AXE likes this.
  7. KZ6TOD

KZ6TOD Ham Member QRZ Page

I have scene this question debated many times on here. What I am still at a lost is what frequency on what band does it provide?

8. VK2YES

VK2YES Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Guy's, originally I am from the Netherlands, and in 1959 we had a major flood. A lot of foreign country's tryed to help us by dropping of food supplies and others needs. Unfortunately the pilots dropped most of it in the flooded parts. Till some ham radio opperaters built a radio to communicate to the pilots where to drop off there goods to make things useful. My thought off the whole discussion is : if you can safe lives by using "out of band" frequencies, do it.
    As a example I do a lot of bushcamping without any phone reception. Just in case that any person is in a deadly situation I will use out off band frequencies to safe his life. If I wouldn't I would blame my self for the rest off my life.

So do I own modified equipment? Yes, but I only would use it in life threatening situations.

Is it illegal to use out off band equipment in those situation? Yes maybe, but if you can safe someone's life it's a honour to do it.

And I also honour those ham operators who saved life's with our hobby.
    Hypocrites who don't think outside off the box they should give back they're license.
    What I want to say with this is that we have a w onderfull hobby

K3RLD likes this.
  9. KQ6XA

KQ6XA Ham Member QRZ Page

Most of the companies producing amateur HF transceivers over the past 20 years have failed to properly design the radios for the 5 MHz band, 60 metres.

It has thus been absolutely necessary for amateur operators to modify the transmit frequency range of their HF transceivers.

For worldwide transceiver design compatibility, 60 metre band default programming should have the band limits at 5.050 MHz to 5.460 MHz.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
  10. KQ6XA

KQ6XA Ham Member QRZ Page

Once upon a time, ham radio operators designed and built radios.
    Hams freely modified surplus radios from broadcast, surplus military, and commercial radios.
    It was normal. There was respect for knowledge, skill, and ingenuity.

Now, misguided attitudes have evolved into an assumption that everyone must be protected from anyone doing something technical, smart, or out of the ordinary.

Grow a spine.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
    KC2YMO, W4HM and WJ1MK like this.
  11. VK6NO

VK6NO Ham Member QRZ Page

I have been reading the comments and I totally agree with many but here is the problem here in AUSTRALIA. We do not have Mars/Cap etc so why would a Foundation licence holder advocate that we should be pursuing this subject in my country.
    Lets break it down to the facts. I too agree as new bands are made available it is possible to modify our radios as long as we stay inside the specifications of band plans and licence conditions as laid down. Most modifications are still done here to allow an amateur transmitter to operate on the two CB bands to talk to old buddies. Why buy CB's when a snip here or there gets it for nothing. Not a day goes by that illegal activity on repeaters or out of band transmissions are not heard and many companies and individuals are caught doing this.
    As I said in my previous post, is it right for someone to be operating with their modified radio in the hope they can bring down a passenger airliner? Remember your family or friends may be inside at the time it all goes wrong.
    As for comments about I have modified my radio to save lives, this is an old excuse that does not stand up to any scrutiny by the authorities. You will be congratulated on your efforts offcourse but this was not the reason you modified it for. Buy a satellite phone, commercial radio or just use the open bands to call mayday to obtain the flying doctor, police etc don't use your status as an amateur radio operator to flaunt the rules.
    Do we carry guns to kill a crocodile chewing off someone's leg? Do you carry a heart machine, oxygen etc to get that old heart beating again? No you don't so stop it with the lame excuses. Remember this subject was broadcast on a segment of the WIA your body that is supposed to be telling ACMA that we are all great honest people and to give us more, more, more and not to say it's time we pursued the right to do as we please.

12. VK2YES

@ vk6no , so you don't want to save lives with your capabilities?
    My opinion : I would be very happy if I can save someones live with my skills, and btw I am full licenseced.
    Sorry for my typos because I am dislectic

13. VK6NO

VK6NO Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Marco, I have relied on my radios many times to get me and others out of trouble in the bush. The last two times I was on the Nullarbor plain when my vehicle became disabled and amateur radio operators rectified the problem from my standard setup. I carry HF VHF/UHF, UHF CB and HF CB. My car and van look like porcupines some trips. Instead of carrying 4 transmitters should I go snip, snip, snip and carry just two.
    Been through three massive cyclones in my time and my radios helped out very well without modifications.
    My argument lies in doing modifications for MARS/CAP frequencies etc that do not apply in Australia. I am all for modifications that would give me a better radio but to cut a radio just so I have transmit from zero to wherever has no value to me at all.
    Most times unless you're on a genuine emergency frequency no one is listening. Best gadget ever built is a distress beacon, push the button and someone is on the way in minutes.
    I'm like you Marco and I think everyone else reading this would do the same and that's always save a human regardless of the circumstances. Cheers

KA2FIR likes this.
  14. VK2YES

Probably I miss understand you in previous postings. My intension is not to transmit outside of band but if you need too, you do. As an example I don't use my radio on cb just to have fun with 100 watts on 27 mcs

VK6NO likes this.
  15. VK2YES

I think we miss understand us is this situation, I do appologize for this but my HF radio is my only lifesaver if I am in trouble in the bush. I don't rely on vhf or UHF for emergency trafic, thanks for you're understanding in this case. And I am looking forward to make a contact with you when I am portable.
    I love the bush, but you need to be prepared to survive it, cheers mate . de vk2yes / pd0i

VK6NO likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.