ad: portazero-1

Foundations of Amateur Radio - Episode 78

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VK6FLAB, Dec 3, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. VK6FLAB

VK6FLAB Ham Member QRZ Page

You make a valid point that I had not considered and the idea to contact the manufacturer had not occurred to me since it wasn't my antenna in the first place. I'll drop them a line today and see what they have to say.

2. K8JHR

K8JHR Ham Member QRZ Page

3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Until VK6FLAB provides a scan of the product sheet--manu name redacted--and/or provides a link, we have no evidence that a manufacturer said this at all.

NU4R likes this.
  4. WW5RM

WW5RM Guest

6200Z bearing?

5. NU4R

NU4R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Another senseless post just like "100 Watts And A Wire" BUT...at least void of the sexual overtones.

AE0DM likes this.
  6. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

VK6FLAB hasn't shown the product brochure (if it exists)...presumably it got lost on his 'messy desk' a la his previous Foundations of Amateur Radio podcast ...

So much for an antenna manufacturer being an anathema.

7. VK6FLAB

You're lucky that my bin hasn't been emptied yet, otherwise we'd never know the answer to that, but it's a 6003Z/03.

8. VK6FLAB

Yesterday morning I sent the following message via the manufacturers contact form.

9. AA3SO

AA3SO Ham Member QRZ Page

Hummm Spam!

10. WW5RM

WW5RM Guest

Know the answer to what?

11. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

He's referring to some bearing, which has nothing to do with the thread, but he insisted he post a picture of it, rather than, say, the product brochure he allegedly has on-hand, and is dissing..

Go figure.

12. KE4YMX

KE4YMX Ham Member QRZ Page

13. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

The only thing that is wrong here is the '3 wave'. Should be 3/8 wave.

Elevating the radiating element above finite ground--if ground independent-- allows lower launch angle. This is why bicones are favored over discones, for example. IN public safety, you want to 'see' the horizon with as much gain as you can.

I see nothing here which is factually incorrect, other than above.

Most vehicle mounted monopoles have skewed azimuthal patterns and moderately high launch angles because of the corner placement on finite, often corroded/lossy ground planes. Elevating a ground independent antenna provides lower launch angle and a more symmetric azimuthal pattern.

I would have provided gain figures in dBi, BTW.

So much for shaming in naming...

Chip W1YW

14. WB6CSH

WB6CSH Ham Member QRZ Page

It is unfortunate that your publication is only in audio format. Some of us hams are using computers that are ¨blocked¨, audio-wise. No, headphones
    won´t cut it, either. BLOCKED.

Best regards,
    Mike

15. VK6FLAB

Hi Mike, thanks for your feedback. You might be interested to read that I'm working on an eBook version of the podcast for exactly that reason.

I'm still debating (with myself and happy to take suggestions) about the inclusion of photos and other material. On the one-hand eBooks have ample opportunity for additional interactive or descriptive imagery, a picture "is worth a thousand words", on the other-hand, that's a lot of pictures (nearly 300 podcasts to date) to source and curate.

One suggestion was to also create a print-on-demand coffee table book, but I'm not convinced my podcast warrants quite that level of treatment - though I'm happy to hear otherwise ;-)

73 de Onno VK6FLAB