ad: MyersEng-1

Foundations of Amateur Radio - Episode 77

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VK6FLAB, Nov 25, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. VK6FLAB

VK6FLAB Ham Member QRZ Page

foundations-of-amateur-radio_300.jpg

Messy Desks is the way we do things around here.

With so much stuff that ends up in your shack, how do you ever get anything done and how do you overcome the space problem, that is, "I don't have enough space and I never will."

This week I look at my own desk and throw away some accumulated cruft to get the ball rolling.

Foundations of Amateur Radio is a weekly podcast that looks at the amazing hobby of Amateur (Ham) Radio one concept at a time. You can listen to it on-air, on-demand or on-line. Visit the website at http://podcasts.itmaze.com.au/ or search for my callsign, VK6FLAB, on iTunes or tune in to your local repeater and listen in to your local news or This Week In Amateur Radio.

This weekly podcast started in 2011 as "What use is an F-call?" and continues in its present form, over 280 episodes are available for your introduction to the hobby or to reawaken your dormant interest.

Onno VK6FLAB

2. K2NCC

K2NCC Ham Member QRZ Page

You start this post with a premise that everyone has space problems and a messy shack or desk.

Not I! :)

The one concept that I use to keep my shack, house, car, etc. neat and organized is simple... Stop keeping shit!

The "in case I need it" just turns into "do I have that and where is it?". Seems the older people are worse... They've managed to collect over time junk they don't use or need, or even love.

If you have gear not being used, or projects not getting done, it's time to unload them for things you will do. If that radio hasn't been fired up in years, sell or give it to someone who will.

[​IMG]

3. VK6FLAB

Very nice. I know that many Amateurs will be jealous.

Now show us the photo on the other side of the chair ;-)

K2NCC likes this.
  4. K2NCC

K2NCC Ham Member QRZ Page

Ha, don't I know what ya mean.... but at the risk (I'm told) of looking too orderly to be a real ham.... :)

Always room for improvement.

Took this pic in May. I could stand to clear up a bit more floor-space. I've since moved the toolbox to give me more elbow room to the dart-board. Also put up some drapes over the garage door, looks better, and I think keeps the temp in/out. Everything else is about the same. About 15 years of evolution.

Nothing to be jealous of, anyone can do it. Just have to be willing to let go of things you won't likely ever need or use. I only have a couple hobbies, not much needed for my world.

[​IMG]

5. VK6FLAB

Very nice. In my munificent spare time I'll start the ball rolling at my end, right now it looks like a Tassie Devil ran through it spraying paper and computer bits ;-)

K2NCC likes this.
  6. KO6KL

KO6KL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

i have a old ham calendar with photo's of top notch ham rooms hanging on the wall , to remind me how much needs needs to be done to reach this level...

7. M0TLI

M0TLI Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG]

Tidy enough?

8. VK6FLAB

I get a Dropbox 404 error, so I suppose that's tidy ;-)