Foundations of Amateur Radio- Episode 120

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VK6FLAB, Sep 23, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KW0U

KW0U Ham Member QRZ Page

No, no, no, it's working pings off meteor dust (which in fact people do). They are a bit higher than the troposphere, but one can always hope.

AF7EC likes this.
  2. K3LRH

K3LRH Ham Member QRZ Page

...well, at least you woke up a few spell checkers. :)

3. VK4HAT

VK4HAT Ham Member QRZ Page

Last summer i was accessing a repeater in central qld with a 5w HT in brisbane, 500 odd km. Good fun.

AK5B likes this.
  4. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Chemtrails.

Sshhhh....don't tell.

----------------------------
    "WHya duct?"--Marx Bros.

NU4R and AK5B like this.
  5. G8GXP

G8GXP Ham Member QRZ Page

Here in Eu I can hear a beacon ON0VHF at 550kms 365, this is without any tropospheric enhancement at all. The state of the art devices we use now to enhance out receiver's have made these distance's possible. This coupled with the fact there are better refraction surfaces in the Horizontal plain that vertical, I personally have never used a vertical antenna system, and very rarely use FM; it's mainly weak signal work that interests me. There are other Eu beacons well over 300kms I can hear too, and we all have to thank our dedicated beacon keepers too, sterling work where ever you are in the world. Thanks for reading this, just a little bit from my part of the world.
    73 everyone de G8GXP in IO93FQ
    David IMG_0249.JPG

N0IRS likes this.
  6. VE6XMB

VE6XMB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You need a long handle on your Swiffer to do this kind of dusting :)

AK5B likes this.
  7. MW1CFN

MW1CFN Ham Member QRZ Page

My mother could never find enough things to dust. Now she has a new spring in her step. When can she start?

AK5B likes this.
  8. K0PG

K0PG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

And I had just supplied a thick later of Lemon Pledge to my 2 meter beam...

9. KF7WIS

KF7WIS QRZ CEO Administrator QRZ Page

Sorry to disappoint so many with my typo! I just wanted to be sure to claim my mistake and let Onno off of the hook! You all are too funny. I liked the "dusting" definitions.

AE1JB, N6QIC, AK5B and 4 others like this.
  10. VK4KX

VK4KX Ham Member QRZ Page

In my humble opinion, you guys are way of subject!
    Dusting? Ducting!
    Sporadic E, TEP, Aircraft Enhancement are all great methods of signal enhancement even signal reflection/refraction from mountains and city buildings is possible at higher frequencies.
    Give this guy a break, we can't all be experts.
    I have worked stations more than a 2000 Kilometers, 1600 miles in fact from my mobile so such conditions can be great fun to experience.

AE1JB and K5BM like this.