ad: QSLWorks-1

Foundations of Amateur Radio- Episode 120

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VK6FLAB, Sep 23, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. VE6XMB

VE6XMB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You need a long handle on your Swiffer to do this kind of dusting :)

AK5B likes this.
  2. MW1CFN

MW1CFN Ham Member QRZ Page

My mother could never find enough things to dust. Now she has a new spring in her step. When can she start?

AK5B likes this.
  3. K0PG

K0PG Ham Member QRZ Page

And I had just supplied a thick later of Lemon Pledge to my 2 meter beam...

4. KF7WIS

KF7WIS QRZ CEO QRZ HQ Staff Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Sorry to disappoint so many with my typo! I just wanted to be sure to claim my mistake and let Onno off of the hook! You all are too funny. I liked the "dusting" definitions.

AE1JB, N6QIC, AK5B and 4 others like this.
  5. VK4KX

VK4KX Ham Member QRZ Page

In my humble opinion, you guys are way of subject!
    Dusting? Ducting!
    Sporadic E, TEP, Aircraft Enhancement are all great methods of signal enhancement even signal reflection/refraction from mountains and city buildings is possible at higher frequencies.
    Give this guy a break, we can't all be experts.
    I have worked stations more than a 2000 Kilometers, 1600 miles in fact from my mobile so such conditions can be great fun to experience.

AE1JB and K5BM like this.
  6. K4AGO

K4AGO Ham Member QRZ Page

Ham radio, please...

7. AK5B

AK5B XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I think you tuned in here after KF7WIS had corrected her typo---it started out a few days ago as "Tropospheric Dusting" so you know...

8. W1LWT

W1LWT Ham Member QRZ Page

pixie dust who ever thought

Attached Files:

9. W1LWT

W1LWT Ham Member QRZ Page

PIXIE DUST who thought that may be the secret.........

Attached Files:

10. K5BM

K5BM Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Ducting is akin to transmitting into a wave guide point to point. In 1989 as k5zxe, I was pegging S meter in Chicago area while running 60mw to a 55 element loop Yagi on 1296.100 while in south central Oklahoma(EM-14)
    Ducting on 432.100 and 1296.100 was always my favorite bands for ducting.
    Tom k5bm 4l2bm

AK5B likes this.
  11. VK4KX

Regarding weak signal propagation.
    With the arrival of digital software programs for weak signal work, these days you can make some really long distant contacts which are really just an exchange of call-sign and signal reports. Here in VK some records were broken when digital mode Wispr was used on 6m to work Europe. I don't remember the details but I'm sure it could be found.

12. VK4KX

Sorry I missed that, I forgot to mention I noticed her correction come up after I hit the "Post Reply" icon.
    Anyway it's all good fun.

K5BM and AK5B like this.
  13. ND1SU

ND1SU Ham Member QRZ Page

Everyone knows how tropospheric ducting works....

TroposphericDuctTape.jpg

AK5B and IZ0TRL like this.
  14. W0WUG

W0WUG Ham Member QRZ Page

Sarcasm in above posts noted. BUT WAIT !! THERE'S MORE.
    I'd bet most HAMs don't know about radio signals getting caught in a "DUCK" Yes thats right DUCK. o_O Hahahahaha.
    TV news explanation... seriously... not a parody. {People, we are in trouble as a society.}
    http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/Police-Radio-Investigation-After-Officer_s-Shooting_Philadelphia-384480491.html. I always wondered what that was called, when your radio frequencies get caught in a duck... [​IMG]
    Also amazed they're having any issues at all with those fine quality Baofeng radios. [​IMG]

Booster repeater antennas will surely take care of all their avian and communication troubles!
    You betcha, those scanner antennas will help a lot.

Thanks to my friend K7AIH for the "heads-up."
    Often, too little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

Remember, the "Ham" goes in an oven, NOT in a radio. w0wug. Wild ugly gorilla.
    AR/k

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
    VK6APZ/SK2022 likes this.