ad: MLSons-1

Foundations of Amateur Radio - Episode 114

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VK6FLAB, Aug 11, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. VK6FLAB

VK6FLAB Ham Member QRZ Page

foundations-of-amateur-radio_300.jpg
    How does RTTY work?

The continued discussion in our community about Digital Modes got me thinking about what a Digital Mode actually is. At the most fundamental level, it's about encoding information into discrete chunks to exchange information. Morse Code is an example of a Digital Mode, made up from combinations of dits and dahs.

This week I look at how RTTY works.

Foundations of Amateur Radio is a weekly podcast about the 1000 hobbies that make our community. You can listen on-air, on-line or on-demand. Get your own personal copy from the website at http://podcasts.itmaze.com.au/foundations/, or search for my callsign VK6FLAB on iTunes, Google, or your personal podcast directory for your weekly fix.

Onno VK6FLAB

AC7DD and W4AAX like this.
  2. K3FHP

K3FHP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

How does RTTY work? Works pretty well if you know what you're doing.

VK6APZ/SK2022, WJ0B and AF4RK like this.
  3. W4HM

W4HM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

In the U.S. and elsewhere the RTTY default standard is 2125 Hz-170 Hz (shift)=1955 Hz, the mark and space tones, with a speed of 45.45 baud. It's a really fun mode but it has no (FEC) forward error correcting and can get beat up by lightning crashes and radio wave propagation vagaries.

4. G4MJM

G4MJM Guest

Yes morse code is dits and dahs, but don't forget the spaces!

5. WG8Z

WG8Z Ham Member QRZ Page

RYRYRY

KK5JY likes this.
  6. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

For some reason, I find it humorous that SSB-based FSK has a "standard" that specifies audio frequencies. ;)