ad: TinyPaddle-1

Foundations of Amateur Radio - Episode #104

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VK6FLAB, Jun 3, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. VK6FLAB

VK6FLAB Ham Member QRZ Page

foundations-of-amateur-radio.png
    "Get on air and make some noise!"

In terms of Amateur Radio that makes people think that I mean that they should turn on their radio, pick a band and call CQ, for hours. I can tell you now, if you're a QRP station, this is going to be a frustrating experience unless you're lucky or happen to be located in a place where other Amateurs want to talk to you, like an uninhabited island, or a low-tide reef, or some other place on the DXCC most wanted list.

I liken operating a low power or QRP station to fly-fishing. To get a fish takes patience, skill and persistence. Would you start fishing in an industrial sewer in the hope that you catch something, or would you attempt to learn something about the fish that you're trying to catch, before seeking out its hiding place and throwing out a bait?

Foundations of Amateur Radio is a weekly podcast about the hobby of Ham Radio. Listen via iTunes by searching for my callsign, VK6FLAB, tune in to your local news broadcast, or download your copy from the web-site at http://podcasts.itmaze.com.au/foundations/

De Onno VK6FLAB

2. KC8WIK

KC8WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I would rather get on the air and make some qso. I have seen this spring some very nice Es openings. Look on DX maps and there is no one listed state side Es in the U.S. but you look at the EU states which are half again as far away as NY to LA, but they still list their Es. I think it's time for the hams here in the U.S. to send some local state side spots, 10 meters, 6 meters, and yes 2 is running tropo now. Lets get on the air and make some QSL's too! Send those spots! Because if the world doesn't see them they won't know that there might be a multi-hop opening.

And thank you VK6FLAB for ringing the bell.

KF4ZKU and VK6FLAB like this.
  3. NN6EE

NN6EE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, you can bet your "Sweet Bippy" that "F layer prop" on 10m is GONE FOR MANY YEARS TO COME!!! So now it all boils down to see how many of we U.S hams will be dedicated enough to persevere on sticking around long enough to "CATCH/OBSERVE" SPORADIC E-openings!!! Remember Guys "MA NATURE" IS & ALWAYS WILL BE VERY, VERY FICKLE!!! :) I can't remember HOW MANY TIMES I've taken a chance on 10m (on calling CQ) and having had ABSOLUTELY "ZERO" REPLIES!!! Though I'd say that most HAMS ARE EVER-OPTIMISTIC and will continue to be, EVEN ON 10M!!! Myself included!!! :)

4. OH2FFY

OH2FFY Ham Member QRZ Page

Propagation on HF is primarily through the excitation of the ionosphere by solar radiation.

Mythological goddesses have nothing to do with it.

[​IMG]

gregW:) OH2FFY

5. KC8WIK

Check it out! I just logged more QSLs on 6 and 10 meters! Thanks to the solar winds exciting our atmosphere we have some propagation. Es and multi-hop Es!

Thank you QRZ for pointing me to the website that predicts the solar wind days in advance. I worked the last solar wind excitation wave, but I see that there is another coming. Our sun rotates pretty fast!

6. KC8WIK

Last edited: Jun 8, 2017