Forum Style Recent Change with Dark Shack?

Discussion in 'Community Help Center' started by WA2CWA, Aug 1, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. WA2CWA

WA2CWA Ham Member QRZ Page

Then why the three in the Ham Radio Discussions (see above) "Show Us Your Shack", "I Wanna See your QSL card", etc. There's no reason to white highlight those threads. I think there's even a white highlighted thread in the AM forum besides the other two forums I showed in my initial post.

I have no problem understanding the reason why it's there in the Swapmeet section, "to get people to read those threads" but it defeats the "Dark Shack" visual at least on the first page on each of those forums.

Interesting, if you don't log in, the default screens come up (all white). However, if you go down to the lower left and choose "Dark Shack" the stickies mentioned don't appear with the obnoxious white background. Of course, you can only read posts unless you then log in to post and then the white sticky backgrounds mentioned above reappear.

2. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Stickies are stickies are stickies. The forum software considers all stickies to be equal. "Show us your shack" etc. are all sticky threads so show the coloring.

Again, a sticky is a sticky. ALL stickies will take on the property assigned to "stickies"

When you log in, properties you have customized then load. Until you log in, you just see the default

Dave
    W7UUU

3. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree that is was fine before.

No reason to have changed it really.

Maybe Fred can do a Undo.

4. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I don't speak for Fred - just explaining what the feature is supposed to do, and how it behaves in the software.

Probably best to contact him directly or file a support ticket

Dave
    W7UUU

KA9JLM likes this.
  5. WB2LBV

WB2LBV Ham Member QRZ Page

Might be browser-dependent-
    I'm using Chrome and in Dark Shack everything is dark including the stickies.

6. W7UUU

Good point - entirely possible there could be browser interactions that vary from browser to browser

Dave
    W7UUU

7. KA9JLM

I went to the dark side using Chrome. This is what I see.

upload_2019-8-6_19-37-30.png

Maybe you have to subscribe to be on the dark side. o_O:rolleyes::D

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
  8. WA2CWA

WA2CWA Ham Member QRZ Page

If you look at my first post where I highlighted the three white highlighted threads in Ham Radio Discussions, there is a fourth sticky thread which is not highlighted. So your statement "ALL stickies will take on the property assigned to "stickies"" is incorrect. They do not. And even in this forum there are several stickies none of which are highlighted. So someone (from the administrative side of the house) specifically has to go to a particular sticky and highlight it. The two in Ham Radio Discussions that I mentioned earlier "Show Us Your Shack", "I Wanna See your QSL card" that are highlighted make no "highlight" sense based on your definition.

9. W7UUU

If you have READ THE STICKY since the most recent post, it goes dark

And in "White shack" if you have READ THE STICKY since the most recent post, the yellow highlight turns off

It's just meant to clue folks in to the fact there are stickies, and there could be unread content in them

At least that is my understanding of it.

Dave
    W7UUU

10. KA9JLM

Cool Beans.