Fortex HF moible antenna

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by WD5IKX, Aug 13, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. WD5IKX

WD5IKX Ham Member QRZ Page

I saw that dark area but wasn't sure what it was. Guess I did OK not getting that one. Maybe another will show up in the future.

John WD5IKX / m

2. K7JOE

K7JOE Ham Member QRZ Page

old thread, but i run a home brew center-loaded HF mobile/portable antenna using a rex bassett VC-20 coil . I can resonate it with an adjustable whip on 30/20/17 meters. I use a 4 foot lower mast (aluminum, 3/8 inch) and an upper whip from a 60's era ford falcon (AM radio antenna). Works fine business on CW esp on 20M. From the midwest USA, I regularly can bust pileups into EU/Russia with ease on 100W; I would not hesitate to put 500W into this antenna either. High Q, good power handling. Hams always ask "what is THAT" as they've never seen anything like it, or are way too familiar with the hustler or hamstick antennas.

I am looking for a 40 meter coil of the same manufacturer. This coil looks similar to the one posted above, - entirely encased in acrylic
    Has a Rex Bassett, VC-20 sticker on the bottom that is still readable.

band spanner antennas also work well. i have one of the fiberglass ones where the whip goes down inside of it... for use on 40M.

WD5IKX likes this.
  3. K7JOE

actually not likely that it is burned. if it's like my bassett coil, that is just the glue that is used inside the coil...mine has the same discoloration. Moisture can get into the coil and can cause some discoloration.

WD5IKX likes this.
  4. WD5IKX

WD5IKX Ham Member QRZ Page

I also have the A62 adjustable Band Spanner as well as a set of the single band coils.
    143218534.png
    Webster Band Spanner HF antenna.JPG

John WD5IKX

5. K7JOE

I really want a sealed 40M coil that's either the Rex Bassett or the Band-Spanner. Been looking a while. The adjustable band spanner works great too.

Mine is the A-62, although it's not mounted to a Corvair like in the adverts !

Great stuff, 50 years on...

6. K8DO

K8DO Ham Member QRZ Page

Having the coil in a vacuum, like a vacuum cap, might seem a cool idea but the lack of cooling will kill it. Vacuum caps are very low loss - inductors, not so much.

7. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

I had fun on 10 M mobile with an 8 ft whip mounted on the side of my van. no coils or tuning, it just WORKED.