ForTex HF mobile antenna

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio' started by WD5IKX, Jun 30, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WD5IKX

WD5IKX Ham Member QRZ Page

I recently acquired this ForTex 8010 "Stealth" HF antenna and I am very happy with it's performance. I am looking for any info about ForTex antenna and the company. I am curious as to how many were made and when they were produced. I would like to hear from anyone who still runs one and I hope someone may still have some catalogs, specs and instruction manuals etc.

"Curious minds want to know" (^8

WD5IKX Fortex HF coil-2.jpg
    WD5IKX Bug Terminator-4-Lbl.jpg

I hope someone out there know more about this antenna.

Thanks

John WD5IKX/m

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
    YG8RQN and K0UO like this.
  2. WD5IKX

These antennae must be more rare than I thought !!!

3. W5LZ

W5LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

The antenna is the same as a "Texas Bug Catcher" and has been around forever, they are not rare. The method of making attachment to a coil tap is a bit different, but that's about it. I know that the "Main Trading Post" in Texarkana ha the coils in stock (or did), and the masts are fairly standard length. I don't see an impedance matching coil at the base, they aren't always needed (still handy to have).
    The coil came in two basic sizes, one about 4" x 10" and another about 5" x 6" (both approximate). They used to be the 'standard' all other mobile antennas were judged by. Those coils used to come in either 8tpi or 6tpi. the 8 could handle maybe 500 watts the 6 legal limit. The 8tpi worked well for me, I seldom did more than 100 watts. Did a couple of 'WAS' with one, I think it's a fine antenna... once you found the right coil tap points. That took some time. The taller you could make the thing the less coil it needed, and the better it performed. 'Nough about that...
    Oh, and guying the thing was a very good idea!

4. WD5IKX

Yes the Fortex coil is much like the Texas Bug Catcher but they are somewhat different. They were made by a ham and were of very high quality and were quite expensive back when they were made. I have found little info on the web about the company and when they were in production and how many were made. The tap system is almost the same as the TBC. Tuning is made much easier with the aid of an antenna analyzer like the MFJ 259B. The shunt coil is kind of hard to see in the picture but it is right in front of the bumper. I also have common mode chokes hidden behind the bumper. I made my own 48" lower mast and the support bracket that clamps to the roof rack on the topper. I will have to dig through some old QST and CQ magazines to see if I can find some ads. I am hoping someone will see this and send me more info. I am just curious.

Fortex HF antenna support.JPG

YG8RQN likes this.
  5. K0UO

K0UO Subscriber QRZ Page

Hard to find, but they work.
    The KV5A powerwhip is a lot like the ForTex, it has plug-in coils for each band, centerloaded like the bug catcher, a big 1/2in mast and a full 108" whip

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
    YG8RQN likes this.