forgotten modes

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by KA1BSZ, Dec 16, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-BCInc
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

past history

2. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

"Report" it.

We don't read minds nor do we read every single post in every single thread ;)

Dave
    W7UUU

WD4ELG likes this.
  3. WW2BSA

WW2BSA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Rob - If you are still looking for PK-232 software, drop me a note and I will email you the source. The catch is, you have to run the software in DOS. I can help you with that as well....
    Chris
    www.WW2BSA.org
    Nationwide Amateur Radio Packet Directory and Map

4. WA9UAA

WA9UAA Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Chris,
    No worries, I have copies of the old software. Getting it to run has been a challenge, I tried DOS Box for a while but found it a bit fiddly. I would guess a DOS partition might be an idea but the notion of drivers for a newer machine might be a problem. I have found and am experimenting with LanLink Lite. http://therightrequirement.com/sfar/Lanlink/LLwindows.htm and have gotten it to send the basic commands to the PK-232 for all the operating modes. It had a problem with the PK-232 .ini file in that one command seems to hold up the process. That was DCD, I didn't find any info on it, my Eprom dates to March 1993, and put a hash tag in front to block it. (#DCD) Thanks for the offer.
    Rob

5. K8BZ

K8BZ Ham Member QRZ Page

The most reliable piece of gear I have is my Kam Plus. I bought it new just under 25 years ago and it's been in daily use since then. Now it's limited to vhf and hf packet, but it has been used a lot on AMTOR and PACTOR back in the day.

And during a stint in Navy MARS we sent MARS Traffic via Pactor. Anyone wanting to do a keyboard to keyboard PACTOR QSO on HF, email me for a sked.

W4KYR and N8YX like this.
  6. N8YX

N8YX Ham Member QRZ Page

A number of my NEOH-area ham friends are starting to drag those old KAMs and PK-232s out again...we're playing with legacy modes such as Pactor on 10M. Look for them around 28.120 +/- QRM when the band is up.

K8BZ and WA9UAA like this.
  7. WA9UAA

Sounds good, I joined a Pactor group on the book of faces; though, most of their activity is in Europe.
    Rob

8. K8BZ

K8BZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Great to hear the news. Pactor is a very fun mode for conversational qso's.

Another rarely known feature is that with a Kam+, and probably the 232's as well, your bulletin board is accessible in Pactor mode. In my case, my packet BBS call on the Kam+ is K8BZ-1. If I switch to Pactor mode on a 10 meter frequency another station could link with K8BZ-1 in Pactor mode and access the BBS just as if they were on packet.

9. WA9UAA

ETA: The problem with the DCD command seems to be related to the fact I am using a USB (FTDI Chip) adapter to the RS-232 port on the PK-232. I have since started running the PK-232 on a WIN 7 machine with a real serial port and the DCD problem has gone away. I'm still using LanLink Lite btw.
    Rob